B2 Optical v HDMI connection?

Christian Sunderland

Sep 3, 2021, 8:06:46 AM9/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Just a quick question, is one better than the other??

Christian

JFBUK

Sep 3, 2021, 9:10:09 AM9/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Christian

unless you get deep into audiophile graphs and specs there is little to choose between them in audio , both output digitally.

I use the B2 Spdif output to my receiver and others use HDMI and are very happy with the results.

Decent cables are relatively inexpensive so you could try both if so minded, but given you will be using the same DAC & speakers either way, I'm not sure you will notice any difference.

The final arbiter will be your ears.

Remember though that you need to check the box in the WebUI for "Audio on HDMI (TV)"  to use HDMI and this disables all other outputs from the B2.

Christian Sunderland

Sep 3, 2021, 9:41:22 AM9/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you for your replies...  I've just swapped the B2 over to HDMI from Bluetooth and it sounded like a wasp in a crisp packet and couldn't figure out why.  Then I noticed that I had set the equaliser to silly bass levels, while in Bluetooth mode.  The difference is staggering!

Christian

Daniel Taylor

Sep 3, 2021, 10:12:06 AM9/3/21
to Brennan Forum
I use HDMI because the cable is long enough for my placement.  It's not unusual to have troubles connecting, and I have to cycle power to the B2.  But once connected, it sounds great.  If I had a different physical setup, I'd prefer the optical cable so I wouldn't have to deal with the HDCP handshaking issue.

JFBUK

Sep 3, 2021, 11:03:59 AM9/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

I've seen 20 metre (60Ft +) Toslink cables for sale do you need something longer than  that?

John

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2021, 11:40:52 AM9/3/21
to Brennan Forum
For me I like the fact that an optical connection means that the two end devices are electrically separate so no chance of leaking 'hum'.
F.

Daniel Taylor

Sep 3, 2021, 3:03:17 PM9/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, John.  I had no idea they came in such long sizes.  6-10 feet would probably work for me.  Looks like it's time to go cable shopping.