Compression rates

Paul Adams

Nov 15, 2021, 2:05:15 PM11/15/21
to Brennan Forum

Hello - I’m well on the way to filling up my B2, with everything compressed to FLAC. This is almost certainly a stupid question, but is it possible to use different compression rates for different tracks? I want my classical collection to be FLAC, but wouldn’t mind if some of my rock, pop and world music was saved as MP3s. I’m guessing you have to choose one rate for everything, but before I start to think about expanding my memory (I have the 240G model), I thought I ought to explore all possibilities.

Thanks

Paul A

Daniel Taylor

Nov 15, 2021, 2:15:24 PM11/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Technically, one could maneuver things to get that done.  But it would be somewhat of a pain.  Assuming everything that has already been ripped has been compressed, set the compression to either FLAC or MP3 and then rip a number of discs that should be converted to that format.  Wait for compression to finish.  Then set the compression to what you want for the next batch of CDs you rip.  The downside to this is that it's easy to forget to change the compression setting.  And you must be sure to check that all compression of the recent batch of albums has completed before going on the a different batch.

I solve this by doing all my ripping on my computer, to whatever format I want, on an album by album basis.  Then I Import the files onto the B2.

PMB

Nov 16, 2021, 4:27:07 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul A,

If all tracks have already been compressed (they are all FLAC, no WAVs) then you will need to delete the Albums you want to change to MP3 >> change compression to MP3 and rip them again.

Paul
Brennan Support.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2021, 4:34:48 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Paul is Correct (of cause), but there are other ways to tackle the problem using PC based compression tools and seeing the B2's music files as a NAS.
Fred

Paul Adams

Nov 16, 2021, 5:53:56 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul. That makes sense. So just to be sure: if I change the compression rate to MP3, the Brennan won't try and convert everything, only the next discs I import? And if I decide to flip between FLAC and MP3 compression going forward, that will work provided I do "compress now" each time before changing?
This is a great forum, as others have noted. Your patience with us is greatly valued!

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2021, 8:09:51 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

Yes just to confirm, the B2 will only convert WAV files on its HDD ..... to the compression (MP3, FLAC etc) you have chosen. There is one exception, the B2 will make a HIDDEN MP3 version of all the FLAC files it holds if you set the compression to FLAC+MP3. This is so that you can make and export a compact version of you music holding to play on MP3 players.

However using the B2's NAS you can use a PC to see, copy and manipulate the B2's music holdings.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2021, 9:36:52 AM11/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

This may help regarding NAS.

---------------------------
NAS = Network Attached Storage.

The B2 can as as a NAS. To make this happen - From the Front screen, round knob and menu system go:-
1)
a.JPG
After this the B2 will be acting as a NAS on your home network. All you have to do is get your PC to connect to it.
To achieve this go:
Paul from Brennan put together this guide:

NAS mode using a Windows 10 computer:

On the B2:

  • Make sure the B2 is connected to WiFi - displaying an IP Address - something like 192.168.1.127

  • Using the front control go to the Maintenance menu and select Start NAS - the display will return to the clock and then show 'done' after a couple of seconds.

On your Win10 computer:

This stage only required if the B2 doesn't show in 'View network computers and devices' (see the next stage)

  • In the 'Type here to search' box type - Turn Windows features on and off (you don't have to type all of this as you will be prompted by the computer).

  • Click on 'Turn Windows features on and off'

  • Scroll down to 'SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support' and expand the section - click on the '+' box

  • Select the second item - SMB1.0/CIFS Client - it may already be selected so no need to select again

  • Click on OK.

On the Win10 computer:

  • In the 'Type here to search' box type View network computers and devices

  • Click on 'View network computers and Devices'

  • BRENNANB2 should be displayed on the 'computer' line - if not wait a while (it can take a while to show the first time) and try refreshing the 'View network....' page.

  • Double click on BRENNANB2 - a pop up panel will open

  • Enter user name = root

  • Enter password = brennan and click on OK

  • The B2's 'music' folder will be shown - double click to open it - this can take a while as the computer needs to load all of the files on the B2's HDD.

  • Once loaded a list of Artist folders will be shown

  • Double clicking on an Artist folder will show the Album folder/s associated with the Artist

  • Double clicking any Album folder will show the Tracks and Album Artworks

You can then edit these folders and files as you would any folders/files on your computer e.g. create new folders, copy and paste, cut and paste, rename, delete, etc.

You can also copy music from your computer (iTunes, etc) to the B2 whilst in NAS mode - make sure you maintain the correct Artist - Album - Track folder format so the music is correctly displayed on the B2.

Please note - any changes you make on the computer are local to the computer and must be transferred to the B2 by running Scan Disk - Settings menu - on the B2. If you leave the computer session without running Scan Disk, any changes will be lost.

Fred