The Missing dot

WestRowOps

May 9, 2019, 5:15:24 AM5/9/19
to Brennan Forum
When an Artists name finishes in a dot, the final dot is not written, causing problems getting coverart. I've tried adding it but the B2 still ignores it.
example "S.M.V." is written as "S.M.V"

Edwyn Corteen

May 9, 2019, 5:52:00 AM5/9/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi

Yes you are correct, I pointed this out some time ago, probably well down the wish list!

Daniel Taylor

May 9, 2019, 10:41:17 AM5/9/19
to Brennan Forum
When I encounter names or titles like that, I omit the dots.  S.M.V. becomes SMV and Mr. Smith becomes Mr Smith.  Since the dot is a delimiter, best not to confuse the OS.  Makes life simpler.

Mark Fishman

May 9, 2019, 7:23:29 PM5/9/19
to Brennan Forum
In Linux, the dot (period, full stop) is just another character. It has no special significance except for tools like grep (which allows it as a substitute for any other character). Unlike MS-Windows, Linux doesn't take special notice of periods in a file name unless they are at the beginning (which makes the filename "hidden").

It is true that some filesystems -- like the ISO filesystem used on data CDs -- will omit trailing dots from filenames. But the hard-disk filesystems shouldn't force that. Maybe it's the B2 software rather than the operating system?

OTOH, I've found that some CDDB entries omit trailing dots; the Kingston Trio song "M.T.A." often shows up without the trailing dot, if it has any at all...

Daniel Taylor

May 9, 2019, 7:58:04 PM5/9/19
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, Mark.  I didn't know that about how Linux handles the dot.  My knowledge of Linux is pretty slim.

PMB

May 10, 2019, 4:44:17 AM5/10/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi G,

Not a software solution but have a look at Keith's suggestion for adding artworks on this post - 'Album Art'.

Paul
Brennan Support.