Associated artists

riley1...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2021, 10:59:15 AM7/9/21
to Brennan Forum
While I have been waiting for my B2 to be repaired I have been thinking of what else I would like to get out of the B2. I note there are many requests for features that get put on a list of things to do, so this may not go anywhere either, but i do think this should be relatively simple to do (my world is very simple,  i let others worry abput the difficult things).
So I would like an "Associated Artists" panel on the Web UI. For example under Oasis - Beedy Eye, Liam Gallagher & High Flying Birds would be associated artists and the panel would provide a link to those artists so you can quickly find/play them.
And again Marc Bolan would have John's Children, T Rex, Tyrannaurus Rex.

This enables albums to be stores under the correct artist but provides a quick link to other bands that an artist is assocaited with.

Thats the idea, who out there can make that happen.

Thanks, Paul

Daniel Taylor

Jul 9, 2021, 1:03:14 PM7/9/21
to Brennan Forum
How would you suggest that be accomplished.  Is there a database somewhere that can be accessed?  I've heard of something like that being done elsewhere, but I have no idea how a developer would approach it.

JFBUK

Jul 10, 2021, 9:03:59 AM7/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

This is a big subject and some of my thoughts are -

Categorisation of digitally stored music can already be implemented by using name, file structure, and metadata tags. The B2 supports the first two methods but currently does not support metadata tags in a way that would help. The B2 does offer playlists to group your music together in whichever way you may want.

Metadata tags are not without issues if retrieved from public databases as the values are predominantly entered by the public and thus can, on occasion, be incorrect and also subjective.
e.g. a common tag is 'genre' and one persons categorisation of an album as 'Pop' may be another persons 'Rock'

Some streaming services also use information about your listening patterns to 'recommend' other music.
They will also guide you to music that fans of what you have favourited , have also favourited.

spotify.JPG

The streaming services are managing these 'crosslinks' via their own software and databases.

Some music management/playback software does support adding further categorisations to tracks in your music library and I think they are doing that via metadata tags.

I think tags are the way you might be able to do what you want but it will take a lot of work as entering the data will not be easily automated and I don't think you are going to see tags comprehensively implemented on the B2 anytime soon.

There is this online resource I found but again its subjective choice driven and populated, and, in my view, limited.

John