BB1 suddenly not connecting to any wifi.

Wilf Jones

Dec 10, 2020, 4:47:27 AM12/10/20
to Brennan Forum
My BB1 has been working perfectly for 12 months, with no problem connecting to my home network. Worked perfectly well yesterday morning. Turned it on again in the afternoon to listen to radio 5. It claimed to have connected, the correct IP address came up, but it received no data. Home network was working fine on all other devices.

THEN when I switched off and back on again the IP had reverted to  10.0.0.1. So I made sure the Hotspot was at off, and set up wifi again, checking to make sure details were correct. The screen flashed SUCCESS! However the IP remained on  10.0.0.1. Tried to join the local BT free wifi. Same result. Tried to connect to my extension router. Same result. Adds insult to injury to keep claiming success in connection, when it is in fact always a fail.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? Does anyone have a solution? Hope so - listening to radio 3 on my tablet is a painful experience.

Peter Lowham

Dec 10, 2020, 7:29:38 AM12/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi there,

The trick here is to go into 'Settings & Tools' and set 'Hotspot On'.  This actually means 'Switch Hotspot On'.  If you see 'Hotspot Off' that means that the Hotspot is switched on and that is why you are seeing the IP address of '10.0.0.1'.

I have requested to Brennan that the menu item 'Hotspot On' be changed to 'Switch Hotspot On' and also that 'Hotspot Off' be changed to 'Switch Hotspot Off' because the terminology is poor, but so far no change!

Regards,
Peter.

Wilf Jones

Dec 10, 2020, 7:52:11 AM12/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter!
What a daft way to label it. Your suggestion is much more sensible. I changed the setting, Hotspot was switched off, wifi reset, success claimed and... I still got 10.0.01. Powered off, powered on again. Yes indeed I still ended up with 10.0.01. Despairing, I wondered if proximity to router might help. Plugged in, switched on and I was online immediately.
Moral of story: if in doubt start off with BB1 right next to the router.
All is now good. You're a gentleman, sir.
Merry Christmas.
Wilf

Peter Lowham

Dec 10, 2020, 9:54:58 AM12/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Wilf,

Glad that you are sorted out!  Thanks for the feedback, that's useful fpr others.

I have found, as you did, that the BB1 can be a bit 'reluctant' to come out of 'hotspot mode', so I will add this note if it happens to someone else.

Regards and Merry Christmas to you,
Peter.

PMB

Dec 11, 2020, 4:07:15 AM12/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Wilf,

Glad to hear you have your BB1 connected again. Have you done a Web Upgrade - Maintenance menu - recently as a fix was done for WiFi showing 'Success' when it wasn't?

Paul
Brennan Support.