Volume loss in line out going to Amp

FidgetFilms1

Dec 14, 2020, 4:13:08 PM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
I'm using the line out into my B & K Amp setting at 60 on the Brennan.  I also use a whole house speaker splitter out of the amp to 6 volume controls and 12 speakers.  I used to use a multi CD player and had set the B & K to -20db.  With the Brennan, there was quite a difference in levels going to the amp then to the speakers.  I need to put the volume control from the amp to -10db which is almost max out, and will heat up more to get the same volume from the CD player.  My B & K is older and doesn't have a fiber in.  Suggestions?

Daniel Taylor

Dec 14, 2020, 5:28:23 PM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
I think the B2 can be turned up to 66.  It's not much more, but it might help a little.

Quite a number of folks have bought a separate DAC to put between their B2 and their amp.  I would expect a decent DAC to output a signal that would be closer to what you're used to.

FidgetFilms1

Dec 14, 2020, 8:09:20 PM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Daniel, I don't see an optical output on the back.  I ordered a DAC and a optical to optical audio cable, but it doesn't look like that cable will work.  What do you use?

Daniel Taylor

Dec 14, 2020, 8:22:55 PM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
The analog Line Output does double duty as a Toslink digital output.  You need an optical cable with a mini-Toslink connector on the B2 end.

With either of the digital outputs, the volume is at full level with no control over it by the B2.  And you won't get the distortion that you get with the analog output maxed out.  However, if you use the equalizer, don't max out the sliders, as that has been reported to cause noise even on the digital outputs.

PMB

Dec 15, 2020, 4:48:24 AM12/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

You'll need a 'mini TOSLink' adapter to fit on the end of the optical cable that goes into the B2 -

mini TOSLink adapter.jpeg

Paul
Brennan Support.