USB Hubs

Michael Moody

Jan 6, 2021, 3:52:35 AM1/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello

I would like to set up my B2 so that I have the wifi and bluetooth dongles in and also a USB memory stick for backups and also a separate usb stick to play music that I don't want to store on the B2 (children's music in particular).

Is this possible with a hub, or maybe 2? Would the B2 get confused with which USB to play/backup to?

Thanks

Mike

PMB

Jan 6, 2021, 5:47:37 AM1/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

This should be possible, not sure how far you can take it, but may need some experimentation.

I have a USB Hub plugged into USB C and before I connected Ethernet I had the WiFi dongle in one port and found I could use the other ports for USB software upgrades, copying music, etc.

I would think you could have the Bluetooth dongle and USB memory sticks in the Hub and the WiFi dongle in the other B2 port. I suggest this as WiFi will be busier than Bluetooth.

Using an Ethernet connection to your router frees up a port on the B2.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 6, 2021, 6:29:25 AM1/6/21
to Brennan Forum
If you will be having two USB sticks plugged into the USB hub, which is plugged into one of the B2's USB ports, I don't know how the B2 will be able to tell the difference between the two USB sticks.  When you go to do an Export, I can imagine that various things might happen:  files may be copied to one or the other or both, and maybe not always the same.  Of course, you can experiment to see if it does what it does consistently.

I think the safer approach, and more solidly dependable way, would be to follow Paul's suggestion to use an ethernet connection, so you can devote a USB port to your backup disk.

One other question:  When you have both your backup disk and childrens music disk plugged in, how will the B2 list those files?  Normally, the files from a USB disk appear at the end of the list of files on the HDD (and with orange icons), but will you have to wade through all your backup files to get to the children's music?  Or will the music from the two disks be intermingled?  Again, I think you'll just have to try it and see.