Replace SD Card for Transfer to HDD?

David Nelson

Jul 24, 2021, 4:58:42 AM7/24/21
to Brennan Forum
I can no longer transfer recordings from the SD card to HDD.  I was able to do so until a week ago.   The B2 seems to be stuck where the readout is Copying.

Should I replace the SD card?  Or do something else?  What?

Twice I have reseated the SD card inside the B2.  Everything seems fine, mechanically.

I have no other issues with the B2.  It plays music well, my CDs rip with efficiency and  fidelity, and the album art and track names download is a big help.

David in Minneapolis

Paul Martin

Jul 24, 2021, 4:53:55 PM7/24/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi David,

I had a similar problem last week, and like you assumed it was an SD card problem. I bought a new SD card, downloaded the OS from the Brennan site (which is now B2B), and flashed it onto the new card.
However, I noticed that the B2 was showing a HDD in read only mode. The B2 does this if it detects a hard disk problem to protect the information already on the disk. This explained why I (and possibly you) could not transfer recordings from SD to HDD.
To correct this, the website says to format the HDD.

With some trepidation, I created a current export to external hard drive. Then, after switching off NAS, and changing to ‘use SD’, I formatted the HDD.
Then, change back to ‘use HDD’, Import from USB C back to the HDD, and reload playlists.

Success, all back to normal, and 2 more full backups made just in case!!

Maybe your solution?

Regards

Paul

David Nelson

Jul 24, 2021, 7:55:23 PM7/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your input.  At this time, I continue to believe the most likely root cause of the transfer recording problem is the SD card.  My B2 does NOT indicate HDD Read Only.

Further input from you Paul, or others, is most welcome.

I regularly scan my HDD.  The music on the HDD sounds great, and the album art and track lists appear to be clear and highly accurate.

About a week ago, I updated the software on my B2.  At about the same time, I exported to my external hard drive, formatted the B2's HDD, and then imported from the external hard drive to the B2's HDD.   A few days later I noticed  the transfer recording problem.   As I stated earlier, the B2 seems to be stuck where the readout is Copying.

David in Minneapolis

Rob Harriman

Jul 25, 2021, 5:31:27 AM7/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Can you clarify what you mean by the phrase  "transfer recordings from the SD Card to HDD" please?  When have you needed to do it and why?
It is not something that you would need to do during normal B2 operation, as far as I am aware.  It seems like both your HDD and SD card are functional so I am unclear as to what your issue is.  Thanks

Rob

David Nelson

Jul 25, 2021, 2:39:30 PM7/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Rob,

The B2 features transfer of vinyl records, tape recordings, etc. via the AUX.  At this time, I can no longer benefit from new transfers.   I can no longer transfer my NEW recordings from the SD Card to HDD so that I can listen to the NEW recordings.

In the past this feature worked well for me.  The recordings I transferred earlier from the SD Card to HDD sound very good on the B2.

Now, the B2 transfer process  seems to be stuck where the readout is Copying.

David in Minneapolis

Daniel Taylor

Jul 25, 2021, 3:20:05 PM7/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,
Have you renamed all of the previous Recordings files that you've transferred to the HDD previously?

I have never used the Aux Recordings feature, so at this point I don't really know what to expect.

I wonder if one of the recordings files has become corrupted.  Try this:
Run the Use SD command (Maintenance menu)
Run Scan Disk command (Settings menu)
Look at the stats in the Settings and Status window on the WebUI. I wonder if the Recordings file will show up in the music list on the WebUI.  It may not, as possibly that file is not in the music folder.  If it is there, delete it and try your recording again.

If the Recordings file does not show up in the Web UI, you could take a look at the folders on the SD card by typing in Linux commands via SSH.  You can download the putty program to connect to the B2 via SSH and get access to the command line.  I'm not at all versed in those commands, but others can guide you through it.  There are posts in the forum that you might find by searching on Linux commands.

When you're done with the SD card, be sure and run the Use HDD command (Maintenance menu) to tell the B2 to use the HDD for music storage again.

PMB

Jul 26, 2021, 4:49:10 AM7/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Following on from Daniel's post - whilst in SD mode you should be able to play the music on the SD Card - I'm not 100% sure this includes 'Recordings' but give it a try. This will tell you if the 'Recording' file is OK.

Have you checked the Stats - press INFO on the remote or click the Gear Wheel on the web UI to see a readout of number of files and disk usage?

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Nelson

Jul 26, 2021, 4:19:23 PM7/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Paul of Brennan Support, and others,

Response to Paul. I have checked Stats on the remote and the web UI for readout on file number and disk usage;  I believe all is well, based upon the readout.

Response to Paul. I did not play Recordings on the SD Card, because I attempted to move forward before I receive Paul's post.  (I can play Recordings on the SD card later if this has net benefit for me in terms of trouble-shooting time, newly created downstream problems, and newly discovered problems.  See below--Question Going Forward.)

New Problem Created By Trouble Shooting.  Someone suggested that I delete or rename Recordings via my web UI file.  I could not delete, so I renamed.  In doing so, I seem to have created an HDD Locked situation.   This led me to backup the music to my external drive, which I have done before, then reformat the B2's internal HDD.  NOW, I am attempting to Import the music from the backup in C to the B2's HDD .

New Question.  If the Import is interrupted for any reason, am I able to (or should I be able to) restart the import from where it was interrupted?  Or does the Import start all over again, from the beginning?  I do believe my backup file and B2 HDD are properly formatted.  (Overnight, I attempted to Import, but my Import was interrupted half-way through the full set of 20,000.)

Question Going Forward.  The Recordings tracks on my SD card are not important to me.  To save time and  ENJOY USE of the Brennan B2, is it easier to just replace the SD card?  (I do believe I seat the SD card properly inside the B2.)

David in Minneapolis

Daniel Taylor

Jul 26, 2021, 4:48:37 PM7/26/21
to Brennan Forum
It seems to me that one of your recording files, probably the most recent one, has become corrupted.  That would explain why you experienced a long copy time that seemed to never end.  It would also explain why you got the HDD Read Only warning.

If we had figured this out before you started your Import, I would have advised you to delete the faulty recording file.  Once the Import completes, or stalls, do delete that recording file, both from your backup disk and from the B2's HDD, if it has been copied there.

If you interrupt the Import process, it will start at the beginning when you restart it.

I believe that Peter can give you a fairly good estimate of how much time it will take to complete the Import.

David Nelson

Jul 26, 2021, 7:04:20 PM7/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Paul and Daniel,

As indicated in my post of two hours ago, I have attempted to delete the problem recording on the Web UI; I could not delete despite numerous attempts to do so.  Renaming from Recording to Recording to Delete did not make any difference.  If you have any recommendation on how and when to delete, please let me know.

I am now in process with my second attempt to complete the import of music from the backup in C to the B2's HDD.

David in Minneapolis

Daniel Taylor

Jul 26, 2021, 8:30:43 PM7/26/21
to Brennan Forum
At this point, you may as well wait for the Import to finish.  When it does, try to delete the recording file again.

Have you set up your B2 for NAS access?  If so, you could try to delete the file from your computer without the B2's operating software being involved.  If that doesn't work either, there are still some things that can be tried.

Let us know what happens after the Import is done.

David Nelson

Jul 27, 2021, 2:07:13 AM7/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Daniel, and Paul of Brennan Support,

My second attempt to complete the import of music from the backup in C to the B2's HDD seems to be complete and clean.  I believe I have all the music; the fidelity is excellent based on a sample of 10 out of 20,000 tracks; and the troublesome file from AUX recording does not seem to be on my Brennan B2 HDD any longer.

At present, I am not certain when I should record with AUX and the SD card, then transfer to the B2's HDD.  There may be a problem with the SD card I have been using.  I want to enjoy music on my Brennan B2 during the next few weeks, a time when I may become very busy with work and my extended family.  At some point during the next six weeks, I do want to once again record with AUX, the SD card and Transfer to HDD.

Daniel and Paul,  thank  you for your input and help to me as a new user of the Brennan B2.   The music from the HDD sounds great, and the album art and track lists appear to be clear and highly accurate.

David in Minneapolis

PMB

Jul 27, 2021, 3:59:08 AM7/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Glad to hear that all is well with your B2 after the Import.

As Daniel suggests one of the Recordings may have been corrupted - the B2 doesn't handle these very well and tends to go into HDD Read Only mode - which caused the issues.

It's fairly easy to program an SD Card and you can fit a larger one if you do Recording frequently.

Let us know when you are next working on the B2 and we will try to assist.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Nelson

Jul 30, 2021, 12:25:06 AM7/30/21
to Brennan Forum
I may have some time this weekend to program a new SD card, so that I can record music via the AUX, then transfer from SD card to HDD.  I am concerned that my existing SD card may have flaws that caused problems (corrupt files) during recording and transfer.  In the recent past, I have successfully recorded music via the AUX, then transferred from SD card to HDD.

Is the process to program and install a new SD card aptly described in
https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/Techy
which includes the etching software, the image, and the physical install inside my Brennan B2?
Am I missing anything?

My Brennan B2 plays music very well.  The controls work efficiently on the Web UI and on the front panel of the hardware.

David in Minneapolis

PMB

Jul 30, 2021, 3:14:29 AM7/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

In addition to the information on the Techy Stuff page please see these guidance notes -

Make sure the B2 is powered off and the DC plug is disconnected.

Remove the two screws marked with arrows (the top two only) - see our Techy Stuff page - link - How to change the micro SD Card.

Only pull the B2's rear panel out far enough (40mm - an inch and a half in old money - maximum) to access the card - otherwise you may pull off the CD Drive connection, which will result in a 'No CD Mechanism' message when the B2 is next powered on.

The SD Card is held in place by a push-push mechanism - to remove the old card push it (against the spring pressure) towards the centre of the unit and then release. It should pop out far enough for you to grip it (bit fiddly) and pull it all the way out - a pair of tweezers will help. Make a note of the orientation of the gold contacts - it needs to go back in the same way up.

To fit the new SD Card insert it with the gold contacts uppermost and push inwards against the spring. It should stay in place when released.

Refit the rear panel, without fitting the screws and power up. The red and green LEDs should flash for few seconds and then the display should light and show  'Brennan B2'. The LEDs stop flashing after around 10-12s and the display will change to 'b2 2000GB' (depending on the model).

If all powers up as expected fit the rear panel screws.

Do a Web Upgrade – Settings menu.

Paul
Brennan Support.