Strange Compression

Mike W

Jul 23, 2021, 5:40:32 AM7/23/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi guys, not sure if this is related to an upgrade to the latest B2B version but when I came to switch on this morning, having put in standby last night, the B2 was showing the message seen in the attached photo with the red activity led flashing.

Pressed stop and the B2 reverted to standby and started ok but it seems to be trying to compress a file which doesn't exist.

Have run scan disk, no errors or anything out of the ordinary.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike
20210723_091023.jpg

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2021, 8:31:24 PM7/23/21
to Brennan Forum
When in standby the B2 will begin to compress the music you have placed on it to the compression format you have selected (the default is FLAC compression (from WAV CDs)) when doing this the red light flashes.
Go into the Web UI and click on the "cog" Icon this will tel you about what music files you have and the format they are in.

Daniel Taylor

Jul 24, 2021, 6:43:57 AM7/24/21
to Brennan Forum
I think what you're concerned about is that the display says "1 of 0."  Sometimes the B2 gets out of sync with what's really on the disk.  Run the Scan Disk command (Settings menu).  If that doesn't take care of it, run the Cleanup command (Maintenance menu).

Mike W

Jul 24, 2021, 9:35:22 AM7/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel, tried those things first... I've attached screen shot of the settings which show that there's nothing to compress, but it just sits there with the red light flashing and the message seen in the first photo.

I think that as this started after the upgrade I might fire up a new microsd card and see if that resolves the problem.

Mike
Screenshot_2.jpg

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2021, 8:21:31 PM7/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes I agree, flash yourself a new SD Card and see if that fixes the issue (don't forget to tell us the result if it does).
Fred

Mike W

Jul 31, 2021, 4:31:38 PM7/31/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi guys, sorry about the delay, work calls!

New sd card generated, installed and upgraded and so far the problem has not recurred.

The moral is to me: in the event of anything strange happening when the B2 has previously been running normally, generate and install a new sd card, it's really easy, then hopefully all of your problems will disappear!

It would be interesting to discover in more detail what had gone wrong but life is too short for that level of investigation....

Mike

PMB

Aug 2, 2021, 4:35:38 AM8/2/21
to Brennan Forum
HI Mike,

Glad to hear that repro'ing the SD Card fixed the problem.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mike W

Aug 2, 2021, 8:07:47 AM8/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul, the cost of a suitable card is negligible and the time required to generate a new one for the B2 is a few minutes so for me I've take the decision to always have a spare on hand to pop in in the event of any strange behaviours.

The micro sd card is the component which has the highest likelihood of failure so best to be prepared....

Mike