Hd vs newer SSD

mister...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2021, 6:20:15 PM1/20/21
to Brennan Forum
I believe my first B2 was a hard drive and see the newer model is SSD. Is that better?

Daniel Taylor

Jan 20, 2021, 7:34:16 PM1/20/21
to Brennan Forum
There are differing opinions on that.  An SSD can offer faster access speed than an HDD. But that is only important where speed is needed.  In the audio environment, the HDD provides all the speed that is needed.  Having an SSD will not make the B2 boot up any faster (currently ~10 seconds) because the operating system is on the micro SD card.

For me, the important question would be which type would be likely to last longer before a failure.  But I don't know the answer to that.

I do know that every disk drive will fail eventually.  So it's important to have a backup of all your important data (music).

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2021, 9:11:02 PM1/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mister

I have a 2016 model B2 (2Tb) and because I had a 2Tb SSD lying around I swapped its HDD out for that. It makes no difference to what the B2 does but it is slightly quicker to boot, is entirely silent and I believe consumes lass power.
Don't know if that helps?
Fred