attaching Brennan B2 as a NAS on my Mac - Name and Password?

Lorraine Cousins

Oct 17, 2019, 9:08:24 AM10/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi

I have just purchased the Brennan B2 to connect to my Sonos System so I can use my Sonos speakers.

I need to add the Brennan B2 as a network server on the Sonos but it cannot connect.

When I use the Connect to Server on the Finder menu and try to connect, a window pops up and asks me for Name and Password as a Registered User. Where do I get this information from please?

I've tried also as Guest but it won't have that either.

If I can't connect it and view it as a NAS then I will have to send it back and it would be a shame as it looks a nice piece of kit.

Many thanks
Lorraine

Brian R

Oct 17, 2019, 9:19:34 AM10/17/19
to Brennan Forum

Lorraine Cousins

Oct 17, 2019, 9:22:14 AM10/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Brian

Yes I did see this and tried to follow it. But I can't connect the Brennan B2 to my network as a NAS - well I can see it on my Mac under Network but can't connect to it.

Lorraine

Brian R

Oct 17, 2019, 9:30:34 AM10/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Lorraine

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Apple connectivity. I thought your problem was the User and Password details.

Brian

Lorraine Cousins

Oct 17, 2019, 10:27:03 AM10/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for your help.

John gave me the answer, although it didn't work at first, I retried it and managed to get the Brennan connected to my Mac.

It looks like I finally have a quite expensive work-around to losing the iPod dock on Sonos. Sonos must be losing thousands of customers and their reputation is now shot if you look at the reviews on Trustpilot.

Anyway, just got to load hundreds of CDs onto the Brennan now.

john Henrick

Oct 17, 2019, 10:46:46 AM10/17/19
to Brennan Forum
You can import to the B2 via a usb drive from the iTunes directory on your Mac if you don't want to rip.the CDs again

See q & a on the Brennan pages

Hope that helps

Lorraine Cousins

Oct 17, 2019, 10:54:01 AM10/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi John..I was just mulling over this very thing. If I rip all my music from my CDs again then the format will be FLAC (when its updated from the WAV file). But if I import my music from iTunes it could be a mixture of MPEG-4 (Apple Lossless) but possibly some MP3 etc.

Won't I then be sacrificing the very high audio quality available from FLAC? I suppose it is a trade-off - speed of input vs quality of sound?

Daniel Taylor

Oct 17, 2019, 3:23:47 PM10/17/19
to Brennan Forum
> "Won't I then be sacrificing the very high audio quality available from FLAC? I suppose it is a trade-off - speed of input vs quality of sound?"

Yes and Yes.  :o)

PMB

Oct 18, 2019, 2:41:51 AM10/18/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Lorraine,

Going to open a can of worms here - if your main listening system is the Sonos I think you will not hear a big difference between FLAC, AAC or high bit rate MP3, for general listening.

I'm not sure if the B2 will play MPEG-4 - do they have a .m4a extension? - might be worth trying one album first.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jerry Biggs

May 16, 2020, 1:59:05 PM5/16/20
to Brennan Forum
Lorraine can you advise what John told you about connecting and finding your b2 on the Mac network because I can't see it?
Thank
Jeremy

PMB

May 18, 2020, 3:47:32 AM5/18/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jerry,

I saved this message from Tom -

Hi,

I've been following this thread as I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to OS Catalina, 64 bit, losing access to all my 32 bit software and, coincidentally, to the Brennan B2.

What Peter says in his message of 31 March definitely worked for me:

Finder
Go
Connect to Server
Enter SMB://IP of B2
Add this as a favourite server once it works

I had to try twice - it doesn't always connect the first time.  Use the usual Brennan B2 name/password when challenged.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Hope it is helpful.

Paul