Updated Import from USB

Me My Self and I

Mar 6, 2021, 11:01:36 AM3/6/21
to Brennan Forum
To copy my music library from my iMac to my new B2 I copied all the files to a 240Gb SSD and then imported them using the "Import from USB C" function.

If/when I add files to my iTunes library and want to add those files to the B2 it seems most convenient (for me) to upload them using the WebUI. I can then copy the latest files onto the SSD as a "backup" in case things get lost/deleted or corrupted.

If I had a few albums worth of files to add, the WebUI upload could become too slow. If I copy some "new" files onto the SSD, alongside the existing files, if I attempt an "Import from USB C" operation, will the B2 skip (or ignore) all of the existing files/folders and only import those that don't already exist? It took a number of hours to import all the tracks from the SSD and if any updated "import" is going to take a similar length of time I would be better keeping a small memory stick for "updates", whilst keeping my SSD also updated so that my reserve disk has all files present.

Peter Lowham

Mar 6, 2021, 1:54:44 PM3/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi mkste..,

The 'Import' function works in 'overwrite' mode, so running the 'Import' again will overwrite the existing B2 folders as most of it will be identical content on the SSD.  It would, of course, also restore the newly added content from the SSD.

 So you would be much better off to take your second suggested course of action of keeping a smaller memory stick to make the additions to the B2.  If you take regular 'Export's on the B2 then your collection will be safe.

Regards,
Peter.

Me My Self and I

Mar 9, 2021, 1:17:05 PM3/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, I thought that's what would have happened. I should be able to update by uploading from the WebUI, but for those multi-disc albums it is a bit slow, I'll copy those onto USB.