FLAC files and Sonos

Ian Ellis

Apr 30, 2018, 7:26:15 AM4/30/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi

I have a number of music files on my B2 but predominantly FLAC and MP3 and all works well. I received a Sonos Play 3 as a present and discovered that the FLAC files did not appear in the Sonos Music Library, not only the music files did not appear but no reference to the artist or album appeared.  I wrote to Sonos and was told by them that Sonos does not support playing FLAC files other than those in 16 Bit and 44.1Khz format.

I had a look over the Brennan site and found a reference to this problem where Martin recommended downloading the Switch sound file converter.  This was the free download version, my question is that the file converter software gives the option to rip to 44.1Khz but no where can I see the option to rip to 16 bit it does give a compression level of between 0 and 8 and it defaults to 4. I tried this and although the tracks appeared to be converted satisfactorily (ie syill played on B2) no luck with Sonos.  Before I start going too crazy and try conversion from the exisitng FLAC to MP3 and see if that works can someone tell if this  Is this a paid download option for the converter?

Cheers
Ian

PMB

May 1, 2018, 4:04:29 AM5/1/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

Try the 'Tag Music' function - Settings > Maintenance > Tag Music, which (at the moment) works with FLAC files only.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jon Scargill

May 1, 2018, 4:12:16 AM5/1/18
to Brennan Forum
I have  a similar problem with Sonos.  At least 75% of my music is put in a folder called "Some music" by my Sonos system.  Even after tagging with the B2, the situation is the same.  I have to play music by going in to the B2's music folder within the Sonos app, which isn't ideal.

Ian Ellis

May 1, 2018, 3:49:29 PM5/1/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul
That worked a treat so thanks for the info.  Given the amount of flac files I have to convert I elected to upgrade from the free switch software (with the five track limit per conversion) to the pasid.  For 25 quid it saves a lot of faff.  I just took the default 44.1 Khz and compression 4 setting and it seemed to work okay.  For anyone else doing this I would recommend taking a complete backup first before a) tagging and b) converting just to be on the safe side and watch the switch software or you might end up dropping album tracks in the wrong directory as the software does not default back out when you navigate to a new music folder.
With REgards to Jon's issue, I havent come across that prob yet but no doubt I will.  If I get a work round I will post

Ian