Strange Bluetooth behaviour since upgrade

pat.mar...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2020, 5:28:37 AM8/1/20
to Brennan Forum

I upgraded my B2 to the latest B2B software earlier this week.  I flashed the downloaded file to a new SD card as per the instructions on the website. All went well, no problems evident. B2 booted OK and played music controllable from my B2 app on my phone through my Hi-Fi  OK.

Yesterday, I switched in my Bluetooth speaker in the kitchen. I had to re-pair the B2 and the speaker - it paired OK.

Problem.. As soon as the B2 and the speaker [A Sony SRS-XB21] connect via Bluetooth, the B2 goes into "meltdown". The display flashes and flickers. The app lists only two albums and won't allow a search for music. No output from the speaker.  Trying to play anything from the B2 fails and the red / green lights flash more or less continuously.

What I have tried so far...
Re-pairing the B2 and the speaker (paired OK and speaker shows in app settings)
A web upgrade to the latest software as available this morning
A Scandisc on the B2  (all albums listed OK)
Downloaded a new copy of the zip file and re-flashed to a new SD card (made no difference) - SD card (external) is seated OK.
Tried switching on the speaker whilst also playing through Hi-Fi. As soon as the Bluetooth connects B2 "melts down". Playback stops and the symptoms (above)  occur

Reverting to my "old" SD card with the non B2B software - everything works as it should.

Anyone able to point to a possible solution here please?
Thanks.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 1, 2020, 6:47:23 AM8/1/20
to Brennan Forum
This sounds an awful lot like the problem recently reported by another user.  To me, that seems to point to a problem in the B2B software.

John Lang Wilson

Aug 1, 2020, 8:51:59 AM8/1/20
to Brennan Forum
I don't have a solution to the problem, but for info.

I am currently listening to a SRS-XB21 via bluetooth from a B2 with 21 July B2B software.

pat.mar...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2020, 10:02:28 AM8/1/20
to Brennan Forum

Thanks to both..  I think it must be a Brennan software problem. I have used the speaker with this B2 for well over a year with no problems. It will still work OK with the "old" software.

The new software works OK until the Bluetooth speaker "pairs" straight after it is switched on.. the B" then goes haywire.  Hopefully someone from Brennan will come in here and help me out.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 1, 2020, 1:09:58 PM8/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Weekends are often somewhat quiet from Brennan.  I'd look for a post from Paul on Monday morning.

PMB

Aug 3, 2020, 3:32:26 AM8/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi pat.mar,

Two things to try -

Reset the Sony speaker to clear all previous pairs, then pair it again with the B2

Move the speaker closer to the B2, in case it is a Bluetooth range problem.

Paul
Brennan Support.

pat.mar...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2020, 6:47:23 AM8/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hello Paul,
Thank you.. I have got it to work following your advice.  I think I have also identified the source of the problem.

I performed a factory reset on the speaker - not just a standard reset (which doesn't clear pairings).
Switched on the B2 and cleared  all paired items (settings menu on the B2 app).
Re-paired the speaker and the B2.
Once paired played music from the B2 through my Hi-Fi... All OK.
Switched on the speaker - as soon as it automatically paired, the B2 went haywire again..
Went through the full reset procedure as above for both speaker and B2 but this time unchecked the box in Settings/Bluetooth that says "Bluetooth and speakers together".
Success.   Played through the Hi-Fi OK then once I had switched on the speaker, output transferred to the speaker, cutting out the Hi-Fi output.  Switching off the speaker sent output back to the Hi-Fi..
It seems that the problem may lie with the B2's ability to direct output both to external Hi-Fi speakers and Bluetooth together.  It doesn't work.. Not in my case anyway.

As far as I am concerned, the situation is acceptable as I am highly unlikely to want to play both Hi-Fi and bluetooth speaker together but it may be something that should be looked at for future software upgrades.

Thank you for your help and for the comments by other contributors..

Pat.

PMB

Aug 4, 2020, 3:25:29 AM8/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Pat,

Glad to hear you have found a work around and can enjoy your music.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Cheshire user

Aug 8, 2020, 4:09:56 PM8/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Sounds the same as my problem with the 21 July B2B software, as soon as I try to direct output to the line out and Bluetooth the B2 stops flashes light a few times then sits doing nothing.

PMB

Aug 10, 2020, 4:15:23 AM8/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Cheshire User,

What brand and model Bluetooth speakers are you using?

Is your software B2 xxxx or B2B xxxx?

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Aug 10, 2020, 4:16:33 AM8/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Cheshire User,

Sorry you have already told me 'B2B 21 Jul' software (Monday morning...) so just need to know the speaker model.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mike Smith

Aug 13, 2020, 1:12:04 PM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Yep - same problem I clocked a few weeks ago - tried unchecking the "bluetooth and wired speakers together" option and hey presto - my cheapo £5 bluetooth speaker working perfectly ! However I agree that it would be nice to be able to have both bluetooth and wired speakers working in tandem (especially when I leave the house for a crafty smoke!)

Daniel Taylor

Aug 13, 2020, 1:19:58 PM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Even if the Bluetooth and wired speakers were able to play at the same time, I think there would be a delay such that the Bluetooth speaker sound would slightly lag behind that of the speakers.  If they're in different rooms, that might be okay.  Just something to be aware of.

PMB

Aug 13, 2020, 4:57:20 PM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

Thanks, I'll investigate further.

What version software are you running - B2 xxxx or B2B xxxx (where xxxx is the date)?

Paul
Brennan Support.