Audio connection

Zac dee

Nov 8, 2021, 5:46:11 AM11/8/21
to Brennan Forum
How to connect Audio to XLR input Amplifier?
Message has been deleted

JFBUK

Nov 8, 2021, 6:48:34 AM11/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Zac,

I take it the amplifier has no DAC and no optical inputs ?

If it does then I would connect optically to the amp from the B2.

If it  does not I would use an external DAC with XLR outputs and connect the DAC to the B2 optically.

There are a lot of DACs around that will do this, depends on your budget

If you have a DAC with RCA outputs then you can buy RCA to XLR adaptors and over a short cable run I don't think there would be much perceived difference in audio quality but depends on your set up and what you are trying to achieve.

There are some very knowledgeable users on here so they may have some comment/direct experience to help guide you.

John

JFBUK

Nov 8, 2021, 12:12:35 PM11/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Zac replied direct

Thank you,
Which DAC do you recommend me to get
Regards

Zac,
you will need to research which DAC is best for you.
Someone else may have some thoughts if you provide more detail on your amplifier and the rest of your set up

John

RandyT

Nov 8, 2021, 12:27:03 PM11/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Zac, without being too nosy, does your amplifier also have single ended (RCA) input jacks? I only ask as it's rare to find one that does not have both. It's definitely not unheard of. All I am thinking of is the possibility of trying the simple solution of using adapter(s) before jumping into the deep end. Sometimes the results may be better (or worse) than you expect.
Not to tout a specific product but there are DACs out there for reasonable money that will make the connections you're looking for. The fairly new Schiit Audio Modius DAC would offer you the option of balanced (and single ended) outputs as well as balanced, optical and USB inputs. All for US$200. I'm certain there are comparable products out there.
As John mentions, some research is critical to get a better idea what would work best for you. Which amplifier you're using would help shed some light on this also.
Best of luck.
Randy

PMB

Nov 9, 2021, 3:35:22 AM11/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Zac,

If I remember correctly the connections for an XLR are -

Pin 1 = GND
Pin 2 = Signal +
Pin 3 = Signal -

To connect an unbalanced signal, say from an RCA jack (phono) connect Pins 1 & 3 together as GND and connect the signal to Pin 2.

Paul
Brennan Support.