Not compressing HDD read only

2badfo...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2022, 10:02:30 AM2/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
My B2 2T has stopped compressing and also has HDD read only in the display.
Saw the following on the Brennan website:
USB Functions->Export to C
Settings->Maintenance->Format HDD
Reboot
USB Functions->Import from C

Only problem is when I go to settings->Maintenance, I cannot see in the display Format HDD anywhere, so hence I cannot carry out this procedure.
The B2 is working in ok other than this problem.
Any help  for a non techy person apricated .
Sheridan

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2022, 10:26:40 AM2/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Format HDD is not in maintenance, you need to go down further into the ADVANCED set.

However there are more things that you need to do, so hang on while I try and find a thread where this is covered.

ALSO have you checked that your Export backup is good. The Format erases the contents of the B2.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2022, 10:35:30 AM2/8/22
to Brennan Forum

Hi,

First let me stress again are you sure you have a good backup (if you have used a USB stick drive - are you certain it is not a fake!).
Ok
This Form Thread give a complete set of instructions for Formatting you HDD.
Hope this helps
Fred

PMB

Feb 9, 2022, 4:03:05 AM2/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Sheridan,

Usually powering off (see below), waiting 30s or so and power on again clears the Read Only message - you may have to repeat a couple of times.

If this fails then you may have to make a backup (if you haven't already got one), format the HDD and then 'Import' the backup.

We moved Format HDD to the Advanced menu as some owners were mistakenly using it and deleting all of their music. Please see these instructions from Peter Lowham -

There is a situation where the B2 sometimes will not format directly.  I have found that the following process has worked for me.

1.  From the front panel, select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Stop NAS'

2.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Use SD'

3.  Power the B2 down, wait 30 seconds and power up.  (This step is important)

4.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Advanced' --> 'Format HDD'

5.  When the format has completed select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Use HDD'

6.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Start NAS'

Then your B2 will be ready to do the 'Import', all being well. If you are not using NAS then skip step 6.

To power the B2 off - with the B2 paused and displaying the clock, press and hold the Play/Stop button until 'saving' is displayed before releasing the button. Wait for the clock to be shown again before powering off.

Paul
Brennan Support.

2badfo...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2022, 3:41:30 AM2/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
Tried your instructions and nothing has changed still HDD read only. So I went through it again and when I got Use SD it displays the word Failed, any suggestions please.
Many thanks
Sheridan

PMB

Feb 11, 2022, 2:52:33 AM2/11/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Sheridan,

Sounds like there may be something else at fault and we need to take a look at your B2. Please email us on -   thebrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces, with a brief description of your problem. Also tell us where in the World you are.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Feb 11, 2022, 5:51:41 AM2/11/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

If the 'Use SD' function is failing then that could indicate that the (micro)SD card has become corrupted in some way.  That in turn might be the cause of the 'HDD Read only' problem.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Feb 14, 2022, 4:32:57 AM2/14/22