port forwarding

Xenofon Sgouros

Oct 23, 2020, 1:11:22 AM10/23/20
to Brennan Forum
I have had problems with connecting to my network with a Brennan B2 which led to problems in Web upgrading and accessing the CD database on line. I am not connected to my router but need to set up port forwarding. I will need the external and internal port number range set for the Brennan. This is a copy and paste from the instructions and as you can see need to check the documentation provided by hardware manufacturer which I do not have

Regards
Xenofon Sgouros

Enter the external and internal port number range. The default external and internal port that is used for HTTP webserver is port 80, this may vary depending on how you’re set up. You will need to check the documentation provided from the hardware manufacturer, software/service provider or contact your IT support to identify the port range

PMB

Oct 23, 2020, 1:43:09 AM10/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Xenofon,

As I understand it you are trying to add a network switch to provide two Ethernet connections - for your computer and the B2 - is this correct? Do you need the port info for the switch? What brand and model is it?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Xenofon Sgouros

Oct 23, 2020, 2:27:26 AM10/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Dear Paul
I now have replaced the dongle and installed a new SD card, which has helped me to connect via WiFi successfully. When I looked at my BT router manager  the Brennan is connected with a specific IP address. However, no port forwarding rules have been set up for the Brennan, and is easy to set up those through the BT Hub Manager. To do this I will need the internal and external port number range for the Brennan, which the manager asks me to find in the documentation provided from the hardware manufacturer, e.g. Brennan. I looked and there is nothing on the manual. When I look at the manager the traffic between the Brennan and the Internet, is still on 0, which may mean that will not be able still to connect with the Web to upgrade or access the CD database. I hope I have not confused you, and consider I am new to this and trying to learn. Port forwarding as you may know is important for different servers to be able to access the Internet, and I believe not having this set up is the root of the problems I have. The Wifi connection has been sorted out

Xenofon Sgouros

Oct 23, 2020, 2:31:43 AM10/23/20
to Brennan Forum
This is an copy and paste from the BT Hub Manager guidance on port forwarding

Enter the external and internal port number range. The default external and internal port that is used for HTTP webserver is port 80, this may vary depending on how you’re set up. You will need to check the documentation provided from the hardware manufacturer, software/service provider or contact your IT support to identify the port range

Peter Lowham

Oct 23, 2020, 6:07:10 AM10/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Xenofon,

If you are wanting to use the B2 in the 'normal' way (like the rest of us users), then you don't need to set up port forwarding rules at all.

Port forwarding is only required for incoming network connection requests (i.e. someone outside of your home network is connecting into your network)
The B2 is only making outgoing network requests.

The BT router should, in its standard setup, allow the B2 to connect to the internet and make a connection to the Brennan update website.  Port forwarding is not needed for this function.

Port forwarding is not required for the B2 to connect to the 'musicbrainz.org' CD lookup database either.

If you do need to access the B2 from outside of your home network, then the two internal port number ranges than I am aware of are Port 80 for WEBUI browser access and Port 22 for ssh SecureShell access (this is if you need Linux access).

Going back to your basic problem, you seem to have established a WiFi connection from the B2 to the router.  If your B2 is displaying an IP address of something like '192.168.1.xxx' then the router has issued a suitable IP address to the B2.  At this point, you can close down the BT Manager software, no more configuration setup is needed for the router.

From your PC, open up your web browser and type the following URL into the address bar (without the quotes)

'http://192.168.1.xxx' (substitute xxx for the value shown on the B2 display)

Does the PC screen display the B2 menus?

Regards,
Peter.

Xenofon Sgouros

Oct 23, 2020, 7:10:35 AM10/23/20
to Brennan Forum
OK thank you the problem is now resolved, can connect after upgrading the SD card and buying a new dongle. Thank you for the helo
Regards

PMB

Oct 26, 2020, 3:22:49 AM10/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Xenofon,

Glad to hear the B2 is connected and updating now.

Paul
Brennan Support.