Why does "Bulk upload" work in reverse order?

Mark Fishman

Apr 21, 2021, 8:54:53 AM4/21/21
to Brennan Forum
software B2 14 Feb 2021
(but I've noticed this before, using earlier software versions)

In the web UI, using Bulk upload, if I choose an artist folder that has more than one album folder in it, the album folders are uploaded in reverse order, that is starting with the last album and proceeding to the first. I have previously noticed this when uploading the four operas in Wagner's Ring cycle, which have a specific sequence and were ripped to my computer in the correct sequence. Bulk upload wanted to upload the last one first, then the 3rd one (next to last), then 2nd, and finally the first opera. Since the B2 tends to play things in the order they were uploaded, that's bad.

Today I am uploading a set of Beethoven and Brahms symphonies, ripped to my computer in the expected order. Here's the list of album folders (all under one artist folder):
(Beethoven) Symphony 1 in C major Op21 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Beethoven) Symphony 2 in D major Op36 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Beethoven) Symphony 3 in E-flat major Op55 'Eroica' (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Beethoven) Symphony 4 in B-flat major Op60 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Beethoven) Symphony 5 in C minor Op67 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Beethoven) Symphony 6 in F major Op68 'Pastoral' (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Beethoven) Symphony 7 in A major Op92 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Beethoven) Symphony 8 in F major Op93 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Beethoven) Symphony 9 in D minor Op125 'Choral' (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Brahms) Symphony 1 in C minor Op68 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Brahms) Symphony 2 in D major Op73 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Brahms) Symphony 3 in F major Op90 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Brahms) Symphony 4 in E minor Op98 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
(Brahms) Tragic Overture, Academic Festival Overture (Masur, Gewandhaus)

The Bulk upload started with the "Tragic Overture" folder (the last one), then did Brahms Symphony 4, 3, 2, etc., and on through the Beethoven symphonies also in reverse order. (The tracks inside the folders do get uploaded in the correct sequence; I've watched it happen.)

This is not only annoying, it's weird, and it's been happening quite reliably for multiple software releases. It has nothing to do with ripping order, because it's just REVERSED, not jumping around.

I doubt this is an intended behavior, so perhaps it can't be explained -- but I'd like it corrected, please.

-- m.

PMB

Apr 22, 2021, 5:55:21 AM4/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

We will look into this and report back.

Paul
Brennan Support.

lesli...@hotmail.com

Aug 4, 2021, 9:47:06 AM8/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

Was this issue ever resolved? I can't find a response anywhere else. I have held off B2 bulk uploading of box sets just for this reason. Doing them all individually in order is taking a long time.
Thanks,
Leslie

Peter Lowham

Aug 4, 2021, 11:22:20 AM8/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I think that this issue is probably down to the method that Linux and other O/S uses after it has created the copy list.  It seems that the copy list processor starts at the beginning of the physical folder (i.e. the first track of the first album ripped and runs through creating the list of file items until it hits the last file.  So far, so good; in Mark's case above, he ripped them in the correct order, so the copy list will be in the correct order.

However, on going into the actual file copy process, the copy pointer seems to be left at the last file item (following the completion of the copy list) , so it copies the last file first.  There are two different outcomes from this point on.  It seems that:

1.  Linux just reverses back up the copy list, hence the folders are copied in reverse order.

2.  Windows (using NAS) copies the last folder first BUT then jumps to the top of the copy list and copies the remaining folders in the correct sequence.  So only one folder is out of sequence, but it is still a messy situation.

As to a solution, a work-around might be to prepend a number to the folder name as shown below

01 (Beethoven) Symphony 1 in C major Op21 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
02 (Beethoven) Symphony 2 in D major Op36 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
03 (Beethoven) Symphony 3 in E-flat major Op55 'Eroica' (Masur, Gewandhaus)
04 (Beethoven) Symphony 4 in B-flat major Op60 (Masur, Gewandhaus)

Etc.

The Brennan will select the folders in numerical order and will then play them in the correct order if a number is found at the start of the folder name.

Regards,
Peter.

JFBUK

Aug 4, 2021, 11:32:12 AM8/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Looking at your particular example I am curious as to why the number prefix would make a difference to this order ?
The folder names you have used are the same until you get to the symphony number so would be ordered in that sequence anyway or am I missing something ?

John

Mark Fishman

Aug 4, 2021, 11:35:43 AM8/4/21
to Brennan Forum
comments embedded...  -- m.

On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 11:22:20 AM UTC-4 peter....@gmail.com wrote:
Hi All,

I think that this issue is probably down to the method that Linux and other O/S uses after it has created the copy list.  It seems that the copy list processor starts at the beginning of the physical folder (i.e. the first track of the first album ripped and runs through creating the list of file items until it hits the last file.  So far, so good; in Mark's case above, he ripped them in the correct order, so the copy list will be in the correct order.

However, on going into the actual file copy process, the copy pointer seems to be left at the last file item (following the completion of the copy list) , so it copies the last file first.  There are two different outcomes from this point on.  It seems that:

1.  Linux just reverses back up the copy list, hence the folders are copied in reverse order.

tar copies in a sequence that matches the physical order of entries in the directory, so not all Linux utilities work as you suggest. In the "bulk upload" case, there might be some code in the web UI itself that can be looked at.

2.  Windows (using NAS) copies the last folder first BUT then jumps to the top of the copy list and copies the remaining folders in the correct sequence.  So only one folder is out of sequence, but it is still a messy situation.

Windows actually copies first whichever folder the pointer is on when you drag or right-click/copy, so if you either select in reverse order, or (having selected) go back to the first item before clicking/dragging, you won't copy the "last" item first.

As to a solution, a work-around might be to prepend a number to the folder name as shown below

01 (Beethoven) Symphony 1 in C major Op21 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
02 (Beethoven) Symphony 2 in D major Op36 (Masur, Gewandhaus)
03 (Beethoven) Symphony 3 in E-flat major Op55 'Eroica' (Masur, Gewandhaus)
04 (Beethoven) Symphony 4 in B-flat major Op60 (Masur, Gewandhaus)

Etc.

The Brennan will select the folders in numerical order and will then play them in the correct order if a number is found at the start of the folder name.

Why should adding a number make any difference, if the alphabetical order of the existing name(s) is already correct? In the sample you've chosen, adding 01, 02, etc., doesn't change the sort order AT ALL. And I'm not convinced that the B2 plays ALBUMS in alphanumeric sequence,. anyway: it does for tracks, but (as far as I can tell) for nothing else.