Ceiling speakers

Helen Allen

Jul 9, 2021, 4:51:12 AM7/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi has anyone got a recommendation for ceiling speakers that will be compatible with the Brennan (yet to be purchased!) as well as Bluetooth please? Thanks.

Shawn Rosvold

Jul 9, 2021, 7:09:00 AM7/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Sonos makes ceiling speakers which Brennan likes. Not sure about Bluetooth, but probably. https://www.sonos.com/en-ca/shop/architectural

RandyT

Jul 9, 2021, 11:17:45 AM7/9/21
to Brennan Forum
The Sonos ceiling speakers appear to be passive and would need that Sonos amp (or some other amp) to drive them. Bottom line, if you install ceiling speakers, they will require some sort of wiring. Either wiring from an amplifier (speaker wires) or power to drive an included amp + the Bluetooth circuits.

There are LOTS of passive in-wall & in-ceiling speakers out there. Shop around!! The main difference between the two is that in-ceiling speakers are round and in-wall speakers are rectangular. There's not really physical differences. Maybe tweeter orientation.
The round or square shape is mainly about esthetics. My neighbor has a set of round speakers set into the wall left & right of his television. They sound fine. Rectangular might have looked better but it doesn't really make that much difference in the sound.

I've installed ceiling speakers for surround sound in new construction in the past. The best thing I did was provide a sealed enclosure for the speakers. (You sort of get this with in-wall speakers by default) Basically a couple of 2x4's between the ceiling joists and a sheet of scrap plywood over the top. Poke the wire thru, fill the 'cavity' with some fluffy stuff, install the speaker(s) and you're off to the races. Sounded great as rear surround speakers or simply playing music from a receiver.

My opinion here..... If you're going for the best sound, maybe using these speakers as your main speakers, in-wall/in-ceiling will not sound as good as 'traditional' speakers. They will also be more difficult to install. They can be a great solution but don't expect miracles.