Display brightness

Mark Ransome

Oct 1, 2020, 12:52:59 AM10/1/20
to Brennan Forum
I seem to recall an email from Paul saying if you want to leave the B2 on you can turn the display brightness to 16 to preserve the longevity of the display ?

Maybe I misread this, I have the latest software update July 20 but in the setting the display brightness is 0 to 15, with 0 being the dimest, which is still quite bright.

Is there any way to make the display go off when in standby?

Otherwise I will keep using the switch on the back and powere it off of a night.

Thank you

PMB

Oct 1, 2020, 3:44:11 AM10/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

I appear to have '16' on my B2 when I select Screensaver - Maintenance menu.

Is your software 'B2 20 Jul 2020' or 'B2B 20 Jul 2020'?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mark Ransome

Oct 1, 2020, 3:51:47 AM10/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Paul I am going into settings for brightness rather than maintenance could that be why I cannot see it?

PMB

Oct 1, 2020, 4:01:18 AM10/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

That will be the reason!

'Screensaver' sets the display brightness for Standby mode.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Edwyn Corteen

Oct 2, 2020, 10:40:32 AM10/2/20
to Brennan Forum
From the Screensaver part of menu overview on website

Screensaver settings for when B2 is in standby mode - 0 = screensaver off, 1-15 = display brightness - 1 = dim, 15 = bright, 16 = display off.

PMB

Oct 4, 2020, 12:37:27 PM10/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Make,

The Menu Summary that Edwyn mentions can be found here - link.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mark Ransome

Oct 5, 2020, 5:34:04 AM10/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Thank you both I have found the screensaver and use it at 16. So I am keeping the B2 on, very quick question it ok on all the time and how many watts is it usingThanks Mark

Daniel Taylor

Oct 5, 2020, 6:40:33 AM10/5/20
to Brennan Forum
The B2 does not consume a lot of power when it's left on and idle.  So from that perspective, it's okay to keep it on all the time.  However, that could shorten the life of the display unless one changes the screensaver setting, as you've done.  Another concern is heat buildup.  Over time, all that heat can damage parts and shorten their life expectancy.  I learned that lesson quite the hard way many years ago.

Mark Ransome

Oct 5, 2020, 7:15:54 AM10/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel so would you recommend turning it off by the switch on the back when not in use? You see I also read by powering it up all the time it can also cause problems? Confusing really? Thanks Mark

Daniel Taylor

Oct 5, 2020, 8:38:37 AM10/5/20
to Brennan Forum
On this matter, I don't feel qualified enough to say either way.  I understand that every time power is applied, there is a change in state of all the parts that is somewhat stressful to them.  That is in contrast to the stress of being subjected to constant heat.  I don't know if anyone can say definitively which way is best.  My personal choice is to turn off my B2 when not in use.  I leave my computer on all day, but turn it off over night.

Years ago, after reading in the audiophile press that audio equipment sounded best when left on all the time, I did that with my valued NAD receiver.  After several years of that, it died from too much heat.  It actually burned up the circuit traces in the amplifier section, as well as destroying several parts, causing them to die a slow death.  That definitely would have been avoided if I had turned it off when not in use.  For me, that was an expensive lesson learned too late.

PMB

Oct 6, 2020, 3:52:42 AM10/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

I understand a lot of B2 owners leave their B2's powered all of the time without an issue - the B2 doesn't normally run that warm, especially in Standby when the Hard Drive and other peripherals are shut down.

I power my B2 on and off most days as part of my support role and have done so for the last 5 or so years without a problem. I usually press and hold the Play/Stop button until 'Saving' has been shown briefly and the display returns to the clock before releasing the button and powering off - which I always do at the mains socket. If the B2 is already in Standby I just power off.

Paul
Brennan Support.