Segate External Backup Drive

Dale Wilkerson

Dec 1, 2020, 1:13:44 PM12/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Should a Segate external drive work for backups?  When I plug a new one in, the B2 says there is no USB device.  I tried coping other types of files from my other data files (.pdf. xls, etc)  to the new Segate and that worked just fine.

 If I plug a thumb drive in, that is recognized and will back up.  But, I plan to rip more CDs that I want to back up to a thumb drive.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 1, 2020, 5:45:13 PM12/1/20
to Brennan Forum
A Seagate drive should work well.  The smaller USB sticks often come pre-formatted as FAT32, which is just what the B2 needs.  Larger hard disk drives usually have a different format, so the B2 needs to format the drive to its required FAT32.  Until the drive has that format, the B2 will say there's nothing there.  Disregard that message and use the Format USB C or Format USB A command (Maintenance menu).

Dale Wilkerson

Dec 1, 2020, 6:39:36 PM12/1/20
to Brennan Forum
That did it.  Thanks!