Free space on B2?

Brian McHugh

Mar 24, 2021, 11:07:53 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum

A very basic question:    How do you determine how much disk space has been used and how much is free on a B2?  I thought this displayed on a cycle at the bottom of the display, like on the old JB7, but it seems not!

Peter Lowham

Mar 24, 2021, 11:27:43 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Brian,

When you boot up your B2 and using the B2's remote control, press the 'Info' button once and the display's 3rd line will show 'Capacity xxxG Used yyyGb' (the xxx & yyy are numbers)

Just subtract 'yyy' from 'xxx' and that is the amount of free space that your B2 has.

Regards,
Peter.

Joe Katz

Mar 24, 2021, 11:43:48 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter --

I tried that and got 0.00 capacity, 0.00 used -- as you can see, I have 31,000+ files (please pardon the dirty CD drive):

brennan.jpg

I checked via the Web UI and got the same:

brennan 2.JPG

Prior to today, the Web UI has always shown valid amounts (e.g. 2000G capacity, 287G used, etc.)

Thanks
Joe

Daniel Taylor

Mar 24, 2021, 2:37:13 PM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
The solution MIGHT be as simple as running the Scan Disk command (Settings menu).  But there is also the Cleanup and Free Space commands (both on the Maintenance menu).  I'd expect some combination of those commands to take care of the situation.

Joe Katz

Mar 24, 2021, 2:44:27 PM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Well, halfway there: I ran Scan Disk and now show Capacity 0.00G Used 379.79Gb. "Used" is the important number, since I know with a B2 I'm starting at 2000G. I did a Cleanup yesterday, will do another today.

thanks,
Joe

PMB

Mar 25, 2021, 6:21:32 AM3/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Joe,

Running the Free Space command should give a more accurate figure for disk space used.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Brian McHugh

Apr 2, 2021, 7:05:43 AM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Interesting. I have been doing a lot of housekeeping on my B2, organising CDs and adding considerably more recently with the result that (for example) multi Cd albums have been combined as a single entry. As a result, I have had to run the Free Space and the reindexing procedures. The B2 seems to be working fine, but the free space reporting on the Web UI is still not working. Any suggestions?
B2.JPG

Brian McHugh

Apr 2, 2021, 7:16:50 AM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
It does appear that this might POSSIBLY be a bug in the latest software, as I have repeated the process using the suggestion made by Peter - ie using Info on the remote, and although the units is displaying a number of flac and MP3 files it still indicates 0Gb out of 0Gb used.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 10:12:39 PM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
I hope you have and "Export" (ie backup) of your B2 music. If not please make on as soon as possible.

If you have a good backup and you know it is OK (ie have looked at it and its size) on a PC/Mac

then, i would suggest you reformat your HDD
a.JPG
Then "Import" from your backup.

That should remove your issue.

Fred

Brian McHugh

Apr 3, 2021, 10:40:10 AM4/3/21
to Brennan Forum
This is what I am thinking, but several other users seem to have been having difficulty with the disk usage not being reported correctly, so I was wondering if it was a broader issue that just (potentially) on my B2s disk.   Unfortunately it does not appear to be possible to assess the percentage disk usage on the B2 using 'Properties' in Windows Explorer.

JFBUK

Apr 3, 2021, 11:15:22 AM4/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi ,

I use Winscp as a remote file manager for the B2 rather than try to use native linux commands

It will calculate the size of a folder (see screen shot )
properties.png

PMB

Apr 5, 2021, 5:30:38 AM4/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi bj,m...,

Have you tried - close the web UI page >> clearing browser data on your computer >> open a new browser page >> enter the IP Address manually (rather than using a bookmark).

I would also try running the Web Upgrade again.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Brian McHugh

Apr 5, 2021, 2:22:19 PM4/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul.   I tried re-running the web software update, then rebuilt the B2 index - again. It looks like this has resolved the issue, and the web interface is now showing both the number of tracks AND the space used - so success!   I have my router set to allocate a fixed IP address to the B2 as a matter of course, as previously this was leading to some issues with my shortcut not always working.

Regards

Brian

PMB

Apr 6, 2021, 5:19:43 AM4/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Brian,

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Paul
Brennan Support.