Help with connecting an amplifier to the Brennan b2

John Fickling

Dec 6, 2020, 8:06:01 AM12/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi, I'm in the process of trying to connect my b2 to my yamaha A-s501, I've connected all the speakers correctly, and connected the digital toslink from the Brennan to the amplifier and yet I can't hear a thing! I know the Brennan works as when I plug my headphones into it o can hear the music fine!

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2020, 8:55:13 AM12/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

You say you have plugged a connecting cable between your B2 (in Port 14 at the back I take it!) and your Amplifier ( yamaha A-s501 ).
Is this a analogue connection or a Digital/optical connection.
Port 14 on the B2 is dual purpose, it will provide an Analogue output - ( and the level/volume of the output is controlled by the Brennan Web UI / and / or the big round nob on the front of the B2. If your connection is analogue then try turning up this volume/level) -  AND a simultaneous Optical output.
If you are using a digital/optical cable (which is a jack plug at the B2 end) and a square connector for your amplifier at the other end. Make sure that the cable is in firmly at both ends - push quite hard!
The volume controls on the B2 do not change the "volume" of the digital output of the B2. Any volume adjustment is solely the responsibility of the amplifier.

In my case, my amplifier does not have an Optical input so I use a small external DAC "in the middle" of the connections
 and this work very well for me.

Fred

andy parrott

Dec 6, 2020, 9:00:26 AM12/6/20
to Brennan Forum
When I connected my B2 to my amp I had to switch the amp across to optical (using a mini toslink cable as described by Fred) from the default coax setting.

Do you need to select the input on your amp ?

John Fickling

Dec 6, 2020, 9:07:04 AM12/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Cheers everyone for the help, I figured the problem, that being I'm a chump!

PMB

Dec 7, 2020, 4:10:19 AM12/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi jdf,

What was the problem in the end - it might help others?

Paul
Brennan Support.

John Fickling

Dec 7, 2020, 5:11:12 AM12/7/20
to Brennan Forum
I had to unplug the digital wire, to thread it through some furniture, then when I put it back I accidentally connected it to the aux! Like I said, I'm chump.