MP3/FLAC Query

Tony Johnston

Feb 27, 2019, 1:26:02 PM2/27/19
to Brennan Forum
I ripped a large number of CDs on my original JB7 in MP3 format. I then just copied them across to my B2. If I re-rip some of these CDs in FLAC format will they duplicate the existing recordings, or over write them - I suspect the former so a bit of pain.
If so my backup HDDs will also have to be reformatted and backed up again. As there's 3000 CDs and 2 backups that would be a right royal pain.

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2019, 3:00:12 PM2/27/19
to Brennan Forum
Think you answered your own question Tony.

I have started to re-rip some of my music collection to FLAC also. Most of my music had been ripped to mp3 on my PC for easy copying to mobile devices etc. I started transferring it to the B2 initially by the B2 upload facility and later using NAS. Now that I have all of my music on the B2 I have started to replace some with better quality FLAC. I do this by ripping to FLAC on the PC where I do any re-editing. Once ripped and happy with any edits, I add in brackets (FLAC) to the end of the Album title so once transferred to the B2 I know at a glance on the UI what has been done and what's still to do, if I still have the CDs. Then I use File Explorer on my laptop to view the B2 drive and the music folder on my laptop's C: drive (where the new FLAC albums have been ripped) together side by side. I find the album I want to replace on the B2 drive. Check it's definitely the one I want to replace, then delete it. Next I drag and drop the new FLAC labelled album into it's Artist folder and watch it transfer. I do a few at a time. Once a batch is complete I return to the B2 UI and run Scan Disk to restructure the B2 library with the new FLAC albums. Then I search the Artist and check the new FLAC albums are there ok. This avoids duplicating and any FLAC albums can be seen easily. See attached. B2 drive is circled, Mapped as drive Z:
Screenshot (79)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (80).png

Tony Johnston

Feb 27, 2019, 3:14:48 PM2/27/19
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Leslie. I knew it wouldn't be simple - haha. Probably start with those I play most. Up into the loft to sort through the CDs - again!

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2019, 6:13:51 PM2/27/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony, I have found music with tracks that blend into the next one are poorly dealt with by the mp3 format. It harshly truncates some track change overs compared to FLAC. Especially noticeable in albums by Prog. Rock bands, and some classical music, (through I don't have many of those, do have a few). Pieces that have 2 or 3 linked  sections/movements can be spoilt by how the mp3 divides the tracks. If you have any albums like that. I would start re-ripping those first. I am for the most part happy enough with most of the mp3 albums I've transferred to my B2, but had always hated the way they put a break in some music pieces that are just meant to flow into the next one. So these are the ones I try to re-rip to FLAC first. If I come across such a one when I'm listening, I note it down for later re-rip. I've even had to borrow the odd CD off a friend as I no longer had it to re-rip.