back up

john duncan

Feb 14, 2022, 4:21:32 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi all, I would fist like to say what a great piece of equipment the B2 is. It only recognised about 75% of my cd's and covers. I managed to find all the covers but 2 and putting in the song titles was no big problem. As I have now got my cd's on the B2 I am going to back up the contents. I have read up on this but still need some info as I am not very tech literate. The disc usage is 371.32GB, I may add more in the future so am looking at getting 1TB of memory. Fred has advised to go for a HDD or SDD with USB connection. Have looked at both will probably go for a HDD. I have checked out Argos as I would hope their products are genuine. So it is a portable hard drive I am looking for ?. They have 2 makes Seagate and Toshiba anyone had a bad experience with any of these makes?. Also how do I format the drive? If it takes a long time to back up can it be done in one go? Can I add more cd's to the HDD at a later date? Any advice would be appreciated

  Thanks Jock

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2022, 4:51:28 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
I am sure both those manufacturers make good drives and Argos is OK.
You format the drive by plugging it into the back of the B2 into either of the USB sockets (A or C but note which you use!).
Then from the front panel (using the screen and the round knob menu system) go
man menu > settings > Maintenance > Format USB A/C
a.JPG
Obviously with a new drive the "yellow" highlight is nugatory, but if you are using an existing drive this action would erase its old contents!
The B2 may not recognise that your new disk is actually plugged into the USB (A or C) socket, Ignore this and just go ahead as described above). After doing the Format Press and hold in the Play/Stop button until
"Saving" appears on the Front display. Wait until the time re appears then power off the B2.

When you power the B2 on again the USB drive should now be detected by the B2.
Run a "Scan Disk" and after this finishes, press and hold in the Play/Stop button until "Saving" appears on the Front display. Wait until the time re appears (to ensure your new "scan disk" index is saved).
Then from the front screen again go.
main menu > USB menu > Export to C or A
a.JPG
This Export backup can take quite a time, DO NOT interrupt it! you will see when it has finished by the fact that the B2's front red light will stop lashing.

Note your PC will be able to see the content of the USB after you have finished but it may complain that there is an issue with the drive that needs "fixing". Ignore this, DO NOT LET THE PC FIX THE PROBLEM.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2022, 4:54:35 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Sorry did not completely answer your question.
Yes you can add more CDs from the B2 to the end of the HDD backup. The "Export to USB C/A" is an incremental backup function, it only adds the stuff that is not already on the USB HDD.
Fred

PMB

Feb 14, 2022, 5:19:29 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jock,

I have the Toshiba 1TB HDD from Argos and it works well with the B2. Out of the box it needed FAT32 formatting, which I did on the B2 - 'Format USB C' from the Maintenance menu.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Ray Dion

Feb 14, 2022, 5:33:35 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Correct me if I am wrong but I read that it adds new discs to the backup. It does not delete anything from the backup. So if you delete a disc from the B2, it remains on the backup. If you change the name of something, it will be copied with the new name and the old name will remain on the backup.

john duncan

Feb 14, 2022, 6:16:24 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks all will now go ahead and back up my B2 Contents

  Jock

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2022, 6:23:32 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ray,

Yes the "Export to USB C/C" --- ADDS anything that is NEW or has been CHANGED (file names) on the B2 to the backup. Also goes for file extensions (relevant while the compression is happening!!). The function does not delete anything from the backup.

If you have more than one backup device (or a big enough backup device) it is therefore recommended that once the main CD ripping has finished you make a NEW, Clean, complete backup of the B2. On a large device once can "rename the top level backup file" and the B2 will start a new one along side the old.

Fred