Brennan speaker problems

jon.n...@yahoo.com

Oct 18, 2021, 8:09:27 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
I am only getting sound from one of my two speakers.
Have changed leads around but no difference.
Has anybody else had this problem?

PMB

Oct 18, 2021, 8:25:54 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi jon.n...,

Have you got anything plugged into the Line Out socket on the B2?

Have you tried a power off and on - with the B2 paused and displaying the clock, press and hold the Play/Stop button until 'saving' is displayed before releasing the button. Wait for the clock to reappear before removing power.

Wait 30s and power on.

Does this help? If not there maybe a fault with the amplifier section which will need a repair.

Paul
Brennan Support.

jon.n...@yahoo.com

Oct 19, 2021, 3:39:17 AM10/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Paul,
Thanks for the message. I don't have anything plugged into the outputs apart from the two speakers.
I have tried the action from your message but it doesn't work.
Will I need to send the unit back to you for repair?
Regards,
Jon.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2021, 6:14:15 AM10/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Taking the speaker that is working, trace the wires back to the B2.
Unplug the other pair of wires (to the speaker that is not working) and leave them out.
Then plug the working speaker wires into the other sockets and see if the speaker still works.

If it does, then the problem is with the wiring for the non working speakers.
If it does NOT then there is a fault with the B2.

Fred

jon.n...@yahoo.com

Oct 19, 2021, 6:51:12 AM10/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Fred and yes, when I plus the working speaker wires in the other sockets the speaker still works.
Looks like I'll need to order a new set of wires.
Jon.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2021, 7:01:18 AM10/19/21
to Brennan Forum
You should not need new wires!

First look at the how the plugs are at the end of the wires the problem is probably there rather then in the middle of the wires (unless your pet rabbit has been at them :)) - and if so easily fixed.

Fred

PMB

Oct 19, 2021, 9:05:32 AM10/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jon,

Glad to hear you found the problem. I remember one of my speaker cables developed a fault in the early days. I now play my B2 through an external DAC and a pair of Ruark MR1s.

Paul
Brennan Support.

GreyBuzz

Oct 22, 2021, 7:14:58 PM10/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Bannana’s!

The standard issue with them is when they are put together quickly, the insulation is clamped under the plug sheath and not the bared wire, resulting in a non-conductive joint. Soldered ones often fail when the sheath is screwed down and rips off the copper as it rotates the wire.

Not a fan, Bannana plugs remind me of science labs in school!

😀