JB7

Tony Bragg

Jan 31, 2022, 11:35:30 AM1/31/22
to Brennan Forum

Afternoon

Not sure if anybody can help but I have a few questions…….

My recently refurbished and upgraded JB7 won’t seem to upload any music files from a USB stick - should it be able to do that?

Is it possible to use a Bluetooth receiver to play through the ‘Aux In’ function?

Finally, I’ve recently downloaded the latest CDDB file and there are a significant number of popular and well known albums that are not recognised, is this common or am I doing something wrong?

Grateful for any answers people may have

Cheers

Tony

Peter Lowham

Jan 31, 2022, 12:41:22 PM1/31/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tony,

I have gone through the process of copying my music from a B2 to a couple of JB7s, about 130GB/ 1500 albums and did find out one very important fact when using a USB or HDD to restore to a JB7.

That is when you format the USB or HDD to FAT32, the JB7 will see the USB/HDD, but due to a quirk in the JB7's workings, the JB7 cannot read the files off the USB/HDD.

First, If you haven't yet got any music loaded onto the JB7,  manually rip 1 CD onto the JB7 using the CD drive.

Then:

1.  Format the USB drive in FAT32 format in the normal way (this isn't necessary if the devoice is already FAT32 formatted)
2.  Then plug the USB into the JB7 and wait for 'USB OK' message'.
3.  Select 'USB Functions' --> ''Backup music'
4.  Let the JB7 backup about 10 music files to the USB/HDD device.
5.  Stop the backup and unplug the USB/HDD device.
6.  Plug the USB/HDD into a PC.
7.  Using Windows Explorer select the USB/HDD device and go into 'hardfi' folder, then into the 'music' folder.
8.  In the 'music' folder,  select and delete all of the contents (so you now have an empty clean ''hardfi/music' folder set).
9.  Copy your music files to the USB device, but note that the format of the music files must be a single level folder  'Artistname   Albumname' with the tracks inside this folder.
       Also, note that the gap between Artistname and Albumname must be 3 spaces and the JB7 only recognises 'WAV' or 'MP3' files
10. Plug the USB/HDD device into the JB7.
11  On the JB7 run 'USB Functions' --> 'Restore music'.
12.  Let the restore run to completion.

The reason for doing the above is that the JB7 was designed in the Windows 95 era.  Whilst  the FAT32 format then and now are the same, there was a feature change inside the format (known as long file names)  which causes the JB7 to not recognise the 'hardfi' and 'music' folders.  By running through this process, because the JB7 has created the folders, then it will recognise those folders when the B2 backup is done into them.

Below are two screenshots of one of my USB prepared music collection which is ready for loading onto the JB&.

Regards,
Peter.
SS1_JB7_Album_names.JPG
SS2_JB7_Album_content.JPG