How to make a MP3 file to a USB from the Brennan for dummies!

Christopher Cooper

Apr 22, 2022, 7:47:45 PM4/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Could someone tell me as simply as possible the steps to make a MP3 copy from the Brennan to a USB stick?
THANKS

Daniel Taylor

Apr 22, 2022, 8:14:59 PM4/22/22
to Brennan Forum
There are a number of ways to go about doing that.  First, it is important to know if you have chosen MP3 (or FLAC+MP3) as your compression choice.  Without that information, this post could get quite long trying to cover all the possibilities.  If you will let us know, I'm sure good advice will be coming soon after (although possibly tomorrow morning).

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2022, 8:44:09 PM4/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Yes Daniel is correct.

To help us please go to the Web UI and click on the little "cog" to the top right of the top left panel.
This will open a new window and if you can snapshot the top of that and paste it here, we will be able to see what your B2 has done with your music.

Fred

Christopher Cooper

Apr 22, 2022, 10:12:05 PM4/22/22
to Brennan Forum
i hope this helps
Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 7.10.29 PM.png

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2022, 5:21:13 AM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi, Yes it does!

The first thing I notice is that your version of the Brennan Operating Software is a little out of date. See my equivalent screenshot
a.JPEG

I would suggest that this needs addressing, but that is a separate issue from your question in this thread.

Going back to your question, I can see that you have compressed your CDs to FLAC format (the default Brennan lossless compression) and it looks like you have 47 WAV files that still need to be compressed.
I would therefore get this compression done first. To do this, close the Web UI and without the B2 doing anything else (eg play music/radio) go to the front controls of the B2 and start a Compression run.

"Main Menu > Settings > Compress Now"

a.JPEG
Then leave the B2 to finish compressing your Music. You will see this when the red disk activity light on the front stops flickering.
At this point if you look at your "cog" information again, all your Music should be FLAC files (0 WAV).

NOW, to get an MP3 version of your Music (using the B2 to do this - which is NOT the only way) you need to set your compression to FLAC+MP3, Then start another "Compress Now" run.
a.JPG

This compression run will create a "hidden" version of all your FLAC format music files in each folder. You will not be able to see these MP3 versions form the B2 interface, so the B2 will not be able to play them, BUT there
are B2 commands to export these MP3 files to a USB stick. This web page explains it

a.JPG

NOTE the FLAC+MP3 compression may take a VERY VERY long time (fortunately you do not have a great deal of music so this will be OK for you) be patient and just leave the B2 alone while to does it.

Hope this helps

Fred

Christopher Cooper

Apr 23, 2022, 12:50:38 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
This is where I'm at tried updating and tried compression, no idea if it worked, menu very difficult to navigate. latest screen shot.
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.41.17 AM.png

PMB

Apr 23, 2022, 3:10:59 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi cccoop,

The FLAC+MP3 setting is only available using the front panel control - Settings >> Compression >> FLAC+MP3.

It is a very slow process when converting from FLAC files, as the B2 has to convert FLAC to WAV and then WAV to MP3.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Christopher Cooper

Apr 23, 2022, 3:19:32 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
I found settings, compression, mp3, compress. I hope this is what its doing? I have no idea?
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.18.14 PM.png

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2022, 3:30:36 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi.

As I said in my post. "Close the Web UI" you need to do all I said using the controls (front screen and round knob) on the front of the B2. You seem to be still using the Web UI. Doing this will stop any compression process.

Fred

Christopher Cooper

Apr 23, 2022, 3:59:43 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
I think its working its going every slowly

20220423_122832.jpg

Daniel Taylor

Apr 23, 2022, 4:12:23 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Yes, it is very slow.

If you are not interested in having an MP3 copy of all your music, you just want some of it, you can put all the Artists, Albums, or individual tracks in a playlist.  And then use the Export Playlist command (from the Playlist menu) to copy the FLAC files to a USB stick.  Then you can convert the files to MP3 on your computer.  It's much faster.

Christopher Cooper

Apr 23, 2022, 5:11:32 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
I what all of my music in a mp3 form so I can make a separate music library  on my iMac's music and then transfer it to my iPod classic.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2022, 5:26:45 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
With what I have advised you to do ALL your music will have an MP3 version. But please just leave the B2 to finish the work, the red light will stop flashing when it is done.

Fred

Christopher Cooper

Apr 23, 2022, 6:17:32 PM4/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Got it! Thanks for everything!  you'll hear from me when its done and its time to copy to the USB stick! LOL!

Peter Lowham

Apr 24, 2022, 4:57:07 AM4/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi cccoop,

I plugged your music collection details into my 'Brennan Estimator' spreadsheet and it tells me that your collection will require about 9.5 days of constant running to  complete the 'mirror' mp3 section.

Below is a link to an article which  gives information on 'mirror' files.

Regards,
Peter.

Christopher Cooper

May 4, 2022, 11:47:50 AM5/4/22
to Brennan Forum
OK My Brennan has finished compressing all my music to mp3 now how do I transfer it to a memory stick?

JFBUK

May 4, 2022, 11:58:48 AM5/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

this forum is being archived and no longer current

Please repost here at the new forum

John