Newbie's questions and impressions

Ian Graham

Dec 28, 2019, 11:59:07 AM12/28/19
to Brennan Forum

Hello, all

I’ve had a JB7 for almost 10 years, and it’s our music stand-by in our living room. Now I’been given a BB1 as a gift – entirely unexpected, I didn’t even know there was such a thing.

At this stage, I think I shall use it mainly as a very configurable player for backing tracks (I’m a keyboard player), or a  player for recorded music to PA, though I have also been exploring the radio streaming.

The first question I had in mind was to do with deleting – but I’ve got past that by realising the Web Ui was the means to do so.

Re The Web Ui – not keen on the actual GUI – the white on black. Nor am I sure if it is entirely controlled by itself, or affected by eg the ‘theme’ of my computer, or indeed the setting of the browser (Chromium, under Zorin). Are there any alternatives, or configurable settings?

I think the BB1 by itself will give adequate volume for practice purposes, but there will be times when I shall want to feed it into an amp or a mixer. I have a Beringer U-control UCA202 which I have installed to the BB1, and that seems to work OK, though it’s rather a clutter of leads.

I note that there are leads commercially available USB-C to phono, which would be ideal, but I can find no hint in the user guide that the USB-C socket can be configured for sound out ? Maybe something for the wish list?

The normal USB port obviously does export sound. I believe there also also leads which go from USB to phono, certainly USB to jack. Would one of these work ?

Last thing for now: I have noticed that the BB1 seems a bit prone to simply drop out/crash occasionally. I think there may be two factors in play (a) it has happened notably when playing MP3s made with Audacity. The MP3s in question will start, but then drop out and the BB1 shuts down; (b) it seems to happen when on batteries alone.

Anyway, a promising bit of kit. Big sound for the footprint.

Ian Graham

Wales UK

Clan

Dec 29, 2019, 9:35:08 AM12/29/19
to Brennan Forum
Hello Ian ,  how long do you get from your batteries?  I have rechargeable AA  and can only get just over 3 hours , that is using internet radio ..

Clan

Wales UK

PMB

Dec 29, 2019, 10:52:50 AM12/29/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

When playing the MP3's with the BB1 running off batteries, are you playing the BB1 quite loudly - it maybe the battery voltage dipping during loud passages causing the BB1 to reset.

Would be worth trying the BB1 powered by it's power supply for comparison.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Ian Graham

Dec 30, 2019, 6:56:31 AM12/30/19
to Brennan Forum
I've come here to post an update re batteries, but I can't see the replies I made previously to both Clan and PMB - did they not 'get through'?

Anyway: I've just replaced the batteries on the BB1 with news ones, which I also checked for power before fitting, and the immediate effect is to have the readout showing 6.3 V (+), and for the moment playing a .wav at high volume.

Ian G.