WUI lists some artists twice and also attributes songs to wrong artist

Debbie Coleman

Aug 27, 2020, 3:21:46 PM8/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Sometimes 1 artist appears twice on the artist list, often if I leave the screen and go back the duplicate has gone.  I did make the mistake of erasing the duplicate once but all the albums of theirs had disappeared.

Also sometimes a track from one artist is ascribed to another artist, if I play it from the wrong artist it does play.

Any ideas?

Peter Lowham

Aug 27, 2020, 4:34:22 PM8/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,

It sounds like the B2 internal database file needs to be rebuilt.  You can do this by:

1. Open up the B2 WebUI.
2. Open up the 'Settings and Status' window (click on the little 'Cog wheel'  - left hand window, top right side)
3. Click on 'Scan Disk' option.

This will take a few minutes to complete.  Then see if the problems still exist.

Regards,
Peter.

Debbie Coleman

Aug 28, 2020, 1:53:03 PM8/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Have done this twice, but still getting intermittent issues as detailed below.

I say I have done this but I see no indicators that the scan disc is going on, the window stays open until I close it and the b2 does not do anything either to indicate a scan disc.
Message has been deleted

Peter Lowham

Aug 28, 2020, 2:16:10 PM8/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,

After you click on the 'Scan Disk' option, if you look at the bottom of this window, you should see a field named 'Background', followed by a status 'Idle'.  When you start the 'Scan Disk', the 'Idle' should change to a number that increments rapidly (this is the number of traks scanned so far).

When the scan completes, the field returns to 'Idle'

Regards,
Peter.

Debbie Coleman

Aug 29, 2020, 6:54:05 AM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, as I have only had the machine since Tuesday it goes too fast for me to notice, [only a few tracks so far] now I know where to look it does perform scan disk, however it has not fixed the issue random tracks in the wrong listing, and now an artist appears twice on the artist list, even when I toggle A_Z.  No spelling differences and the albums are the same in both.
I appreciate this is not a big issue but it irritates me and when I have a significant number of cds ripped I dont want it to occur.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 29, 2020, 7:10:28 AM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
This sounds a lot like what another person has reported recently.  I can only wonder what might be going on.  It occurs to me to ask about your WiFi signal strength.  If it's too weak or erratic, the WebUI may be having trouble keeping up with what the B2 is telling it.

Check your WiFi signal strength using Settings > Maintenance > WiFi Strength.  (I got that from the Brennan website on the Menu page.)
Your signal strength should be at least -60 (-50 being better, -70 being worse) and not fluctuate wildly.  (Personally, I like to see better than -50.)
To improve your signal strength, try the following:
Move your B2 closer to your router.
Switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.
Move your WiFi dongle to the end of a USB extension cable.

Debbie Coleman

Aug 29, 2020, 7:28:39 AM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Sorry to be a plonker but, I go to settings and status using the cog wheel in the first window, I dont have a maintenance button, if I push the spanner icon I get code stuff.

I will move the dongle to C and see if this changes, I appreciate all help.

Debbie Coleman

Aug 29, 2020, 10:06:09 AM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
I am sure that there is software issue, which affects the above but also does quite mad things,

The Db finds disc 1 but then not disc 2 I have to enter it manually.

I know someone else mentioned this but how can it find 1 of a pair?

Another thing that can happen is all the icons disappear, the buttons work but the icons have gone.

I may be conflating and tying things together that are not linked but there are issues, I am reluctant to add more music as it is time consuming and if we have not got a fix for these I will return the machine and stick to old fashioned cd player.

I have saved my progress every so often but am worried that I am saving faulty logs.

Peter Lowham

Aug 29, 2020, 10:29:41 AM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,

What Daniel meant to state was that the tests that he has requested that you do are run from the front panel of the B2 and not from the WebUI.

So, from the front panel and using the control knob , from the 'Main' (top) menu, go to 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'WiFi strength' and note the value given.

Then follows Daniel's instructions above.

Also, after this, if you go back to the B2's Main menu, then using the B2 remote control, press the 'Info' button twice and you should see a line in the front panel display showing 'Version ............'

If you could post the details of the version, that would also be helpful.

Regards,
Peter.

Debbie Coleman

Aug 29, 2020, 10:58:59 AM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Sorry I am trying to learn as I go, I dont use the b2 display much so need to get used to it.

RESULTS

Wifi Strength 59dBM

VERSION b2B jul 21 2020 08.11.29

Peter Lowham

Aug 29, 2020, 11:21:34 AM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,

Your software version is the latest, so that's good.

Your WiFi strength is on the edge of the low side, so that could be the root of your problems.  If you can try Daniel's suggestions and see if those improve your WiFi signal strength.  If you can locate a USB extension lead that would probably be the most effective method, but the other suggestions are also worth trying.

A further alternative is to purchase a USB Wifi unit with an antenna fitted, but this needs to be 'RT5370' compatible.  If you go to Amazon and just type in RT5370, and then look for the devices within the antenna, this would be an option.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 29, 2020, 2:04:27 PM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,
WiFi strength of -59 is considered just barely acceptable by Brennan's standards.  I will inject my personal opinion to say that I would definitely not be happy with that strength of signal.  We'll be watching to see how you get on.

Debbie Coleman

Aug 29, 2020, 3:27:28 PM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Okay many thanks for all the input, when I get time and the equipment needed I will use the strategies suggested and try to boost my Wifi strength.
However am I right in thinking that this issue will only affect the interface between the Mac, which runs the WUI and the B2.  The B2s own function will not be affected?

Daniel Taylor

Aug 29, 2020, 4:48:57 PM8/29/20
to Brennan Forum
On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 3:27:28 PM UTC-4, Debbie Coleman wrote:
Okay many thanks for all the input, when I get time and the equipment needed I will use the strategies suggested and try to boost my Wifi strength.
However am I right in thinking that this issue will only affect the interface between the Mac, which runs the WUI and the B2.  The B2s own function will not be affected?

Yes, that's right.  Do we know if there have been any problems with the B2 when controlling it with the front panel buttons?

Debbie Coleman

Aug 30, 2020, 6:16:01 AM8/30/20
to Brennan Forum
I have switched to USB C and that only registers at -55 -_57.

I will move the router into the same room tomorrow, I will also try using the B2 front panels to see if anything occurs.

I do not have fibre broadband as I am halfway up a mountain in rural Fermanagh, so will contact EE, my provider and see if they will/can provide a booster.

Again I really do appreciate the help.

PMB

Aug 31, 2020, 4:34:46 AM8/31/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,

Actually you have improved the WiFi signal level as -55dBm is better than -59dBm - so the lower the number the better the signal. Have you noticed any improvement in the UI's response since moving the dongle to USB C?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Debbie Coleman

Aug 31, 2020, 4:43:35 AM8/31/20
to Brennan Forum
I didn't notice any real change when I used the C usb.

I have spent a while talking to a nice man at EE, my internet is 4G, so there is not specific 4G booster and using a non specific Booster will likely affect the router.  I can get another router but that will cost a monthly fee.

I have moved the router to nearer the B2 and am now achieving -39 to -41 which is good I beleieve. We have a couple of black spots in other areas of the house but until we have downloaded the music it will do.

I am doing some ripping today so will keep you posted.

Debbie Coleman

Aug 31, 2020, 4:22:14 PM8/31/20
to Brennan Forum
The errors still occur when using WUI, I will test using the B2 front panel, however a significant number of my cd collection are not in the db and need me to enter details manually.

I cannot notice a faster wifi link in the function of the B2 or the WUI.  CDs take longer that the advertised about 2 minutes!

PMB

Sep 1, 2020, 6:25:10 AM9/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,

When you say the router is 4G does that mean it is using the mobile phone network rather than being plugged into a telephone line? If this is the case then is the router getting a decent mobile signal - does the Internet Radio on the B2 play OK without interruption/s for example?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Debbie Coleman

Sep 1, 2020, 6:47:02 AM9/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Yes I can't get fibre broadband where I am so we use 4G mobile phone network. The router gets a decent signal usually, bad weather can cause it to drop but it never goes away, unless the electric goes!

I am still having issues with the WUI as it still randomly buts bizarre tracks in the wrong artist but it will sometimes right itself and as it is only the WUI not the B2 I am not unduly worried.

With the faster speed I now get a floating track list when I first put in a cd, I can't do anything with that list other than close it, is that new or something I have done?  I was hoping it was a feature which would allow me to skip tracks I dont like but with 2TB of storage I guess I may as well load them all and just skip on playback.

I will test using the B2 interface, and the radio and using the remote when I want to take a break from ripping the endless cds!

Daniel Taylor

Sep 1, 2020, 9:51:02 AM9/1/20
to Brennan Forum
On the B2, when you rip, you don't have an option to omit any tracks.  After the whole disc is ripped, you can delete and specific tracks you don't want.

Debbie Coleman

Sep 1, 2020, 10:08:26 AM9/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Yes thats what I thought but seems a bit of a waste of time, as I say until my 2TB start getting full I will download everything and then do a housekeeping delete when I need more space. {possibly not in this lifetime!]

Peter Lowham

Sep 1, 2020, 12:51:54 PM9/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,

If you are ripping and compressing using 'flac', you will be able to store something like 80,000 tracks equating to over 5,000 CDs, so I reckon that you have plenty of time (and space) before you fill the HDD!

With the improved WiFi now, is the ripping process working correctly now?

I live in Belfast by the way!

Regards,
Peter.

Debbie Coleman

Sep 1, 2020, 2:16:30 PM9/1/20
to Brennan Forum
That will keep me occupied for a while!!!
Even with the improved wifi I am getting the same issues with odd tracks suddenly appearing in a different artist and they also disappear randomly too.
I am in chilly Fermanagh, BT cant get a broadband service here despite their best efforts so 4G is our option.
I move the router at night so that I can listen to my podcasts in bed but its no hardship just plug in, in the hall get 5 bars, in the study only get 3 but wifi is -42 so when ripping to B2 plug router in the study.

I am using FLAC today it is quietly compressing the files while I do otehr things.

djlef...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2020, 6:23:25 PM9/1/20
to Brennan Forum
>> sometimes a track from one artist is ascribed to another artist,

This could happen if you are ripping Compilation CDs with various tracks recorded by different performers. The B2 cannot assign artists by track, only by album. Which artist is displayed depends on how the CD was entered in the CDDB, and this is not standardized.

PMB

Sep 2, 2020, 2:48:55 AM9/2/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Debbie,

One other thought - the B2 is best doing one task at a time, so when ripping CDs don't have it playing other music or the radio.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Debbie Coleman

Sep 2, 2020, 4:06:35 AM9/2/20
to Brennan Forum
Yes I had noticed that, so I let it just rip.

Debbie Coleman

Sep 2, 2020, 4:16:33 AM9/2/20
to Brennan Forum
djlef, I would understand if I was trying to put compilations on, but I haven't.  I have been putting all of one artist on, the first day I put all 32 albums of Mike Oldfield.  Yesterday I was doing Bellowhead and every so often a Mike Oldfield album appears in the Bellowhead list.  It will play from there but it is also still in the original MO list.  I deleted it from Bellowhead but that deleted it totally from the B2 so I had to re-rip it.  The B2 then inserted a Neil Diamond into the Clannad list and so on.  The names do tend to disappear if I shut down the WUI but not always. Sometimes it shows a wayward album but on the track list there is only 1 track listed, in the original all tracks are present and correct.
 It is odd, my partner says  the B2 is judging me and it is my fault for having terrible taste in music!!!

Daniel Taylor

Sep 2, 2020, 6:25:18 AM9/2/20
to Brennan Forum
On Wednesday, September 2, 2020 at 4:16:33 AM UTC-4, Debbie Coleman wrote:
 It is odd, my partner says  the B2 is judging me and it is my fault for having terrible taste in music!!!

Ha!  Well, I think we can eliminate that from the list of possibilities. ;o)  I know the B2 can be very sensitive, but this is the first time I've heard that one.

This is a strange problem indeed.  My first thought was a sketchy WiFi connection.  That seems to have been taken care of - but I'm still not 100% sure that isn't still causing problems.  However, at this point it seems much less likely.

So, my next thought is that possibly your B2's software has become corrupted in a most creative way.  Have you done a software update lately.  (Sorry if you've already mentioned that - the thread is getting pretty long.)  If it was me, I'd get a new SD card and rebuild it.  At the very least, that would give you a spare.  At the best, it might even solve the problem.

Debbie Coleman

Sep 2, 2020, 7:14:42 AM9/2/20
to Brennan Forum
I have the latest software version.
Wifi speed today, once I have moved the router is -19
I am reluctant to take apart the machine which I have only had for a week, and I have looked at the video and could probably do it but am balking a bit at that.  I am letting it compress at the moment as I had been turning it off after a long day of ripping so it needs to catch up with that,

Thanks for all your inputs...appreciated.

djlef...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2020, 7:59:59 AM9/2/20
to Brennan Forum
While the B2 is in the process of ripping a CD it is normal to see, in the WebUI,  the details from the very first CD displayed as placeholders. Ignore this. When the process is finished it will be updated to match whatever the B2 knows about the new CD, even if it is "Unknown". Also, if something looks wrong in the Web UI always "refresh" the browser display before doing anything else. Browsers use cached copies of web pages, and it may be stale.