Ripping glitch

William Ellison

Dec 2, 2021, 6:37:56 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello Forum - Help needed, please!

1.  I have just started to rip my CD collection onto my brand new B2, which was delivered last week.

2.   So far I have successfully managed to rip and compress as follows:

333 tracks in 29 albums 21 artists  2 WAV 331 FLAC 0 MP3 0 AAC

3.   What follows is possibly unimportant detail, but I'll include it anyway: On one of the albums that I had ripped successfully yesterday, the track naming had not happened automatically, so I added track names via the Web UI. But while doing so I somehow managed to corrupt the file so that the final track wouldn't play, so I decided to delete the album and re-rip it.

4.   When I tried re-ripping, the B2 briefly looked at the CD and then ejected it, along with the message "Bad Disc". I couldn't see any obvious flaws in the disc, so I cleaned it and tried again, with the same result. I then inserted 2 other CDs that had worked properly yesterday, but both of these were also ejected, as were 3 more CDs from my "To Do" heap.

5.   By this time the B2 had been running all day, so I stopped trying and let it process the waiting files overnight. This morning I switched it off for a couple of hours and then switched on and tried again. Same problem - I have tried all 6 CDs this morning and it ejects all of them, usually - but not always - with the "Bad Disc" message.

6.   All 6 CDs appear to be in reasonably good condition (and. of course, 3 of them were ripped yesterday without any problem). The B2 is sitting on a firm and level surface in a clean environment.

Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks, Bill

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 6:40:38 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bill,

Wait for Paul from Brennan to pick up on this problem you are having.

Fred

Christian Sunderland

Dec 2, 2021, 7:07:27 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi William,

I had a similar problem.  I think if rip and cd then delete it, sometimes the Brennan still sees the CD image, as it is still in FAT.   So when you try to re-rip, it thinks it's still there.

Have a go at running 'Scan Disk'.  This should tidy up the FAT. (It won't cause any harm, anyway...)

I always like to run 'Scan Disk', after I have ripped some CDs before compressing and have not (touch wood!) had any issues since.

Christian

PMB

Dec 2, 2021, 7:18:03 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bill,

Try Christian's suggestion of running Scan Disk and if that doesn't help it's possible that the CD Drive has failed and needs to be replaced. In this case please email us on -   thebrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces, with a brief description of the problem and we will get it sorted for you.

You could also try 'Reset CD' which can be found in the Advanced menu.

Paul
Brennan Support.

William Ellison

Dec 2, 2021, 10:45:19 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
HI All,

Thanks for the advice. I've tried Scan Disk, which seemed to take only a couple of nano seconds to complete,  Sadly, it hasn't worked.

So I'm happy to try "Reset CD" - but how do I access the Advanced Menu, please? I can't see a route to it via the Menu Summary, and I'm a bit wary of prodding buttons at random.

Bill

Peter Lowham

Dec 2, 2021, 11:48:25 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bill,

The 'Reset CD' function is located as follows, using the B2 front panel control knob.

'Main Menu' --> 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Advanced' --> 'Reset CD'.

Regards,
Peter.

William Ellison

Dec 2, 2021, 6:08:22 PM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Thanks for this. Unfortunately "Reset CD" has made no difference, and I can't persuade my B2 to accept any CD that I offer it.

So I will be following Paul's advice and arranging to return the unit.

Bill

PMB

Dec 3, 2021, 5:53:36 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bill,

Please email us on -   thebrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces, with a brief description of the problem (so we know what it's about) and we will send the returns info. Please let us know where in the World you are (in the email).

Paul
Brennan Support.

Raymond Lamb

Dec 6, 2021, 10:59:34 AM12/6/21
to Brennan Forum

Exactly the same problem as Bill. Received my b2 last week and successfully ripped 10 CDs. Then left for two days only to come back today hoping to rip some more CDs, but unfortunately all rejected as bad discs. I scanned disc which took a nano second and now I’ve selected reset CD. Don’t know what has now happened as the display is showing Restarting and back doesn’t do anything. Help please

Peter Lowham

Dec 6, 2021, 2:46:14 PM12/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Raymond,At this stage, if pressing and holding the 'Play/Stop' button for a few seconds does not show 'Saving' on the front panel display, then the only way forward is to power the B2 down, wait about 15 seconds and then power it up again.

Then, if all looks normal, run 'Scan Disk' (this will tidy up the B2's internal album database.

 Then see if you can rip a CD.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Dec 7, 2021, 3:54:49 AM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rayj...,

If Peter's suggestions don't help, please email us on -   thebrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces, with a brief description of the problem (so we know what it's about) and we will send the returns info. Please let us know where in the World you are (in the email).

Paul
Brennan Support.

Raymond Lamb

Dec 7, 2021, 5:39:38 AM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter for your suggestion, but unfortunately I still could not rip any further CDs.

So Paul I’ve just emailed you

Thanks

Raymond

Anton Heseltine

Dec 27, 2021, 7:42:14 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
I am considering buying a B2 device but have become wary after reading the Forum threads. It seems that a number of people who have bought units in the past month or so are having problems with a "Bad Disk" message. You have asked them to e-mail you to arrange to return their units.

Before investing, I am keen to understand what is causing the "Bad Disk" failures and whether you have managed to get to the root cause and stop the problems occurring on new B2 devices.

The reason for asking is that I live in France and am currently in the UK visiting children/grandchildren. I am worried about buying a faulty unit, taking it to France only to discover that it has a problem and that I will have to return it.

Can you let me know please?

Dan Barrett

Dec 27, 2021, 11:48:37 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Anton,

True that some folks have had issues, but I suspect many have had success. I received my B2B 10 days ago and have ripped 120+ CDs so far, some with the internal drive and some with a USB external drive (because Brennan points out in their docs that externals are faster). I've had nothing but success.

Dan

Anton Heseltine

Dec 28, 2021, 3:52:32 AM12/28/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Dan, thank you for your response. I do understand that it is probably not going to be all units that are affected and that there are folks like yourself who have had nothing but success. However, there are some folks on here that might say that they have had nothing but failure. As I live in France, which makes things logistically more difficult,  I don’t want to be one of those folks. I am hoping that Paul will be able to tell me that they have eliminated this particular problem as the only solution seems to be to return the unit. Doing that from France involves dealing with post Brexit import/export red tape which can be a nightmare. I really, really like the idea of having the functionality that a Brennan B2 brings but at the moment I don’t feel that it is worth gambling on getting a “good” unit.

Anton

PMB

Dec 28, 2021, 5:43:53 AM12/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Anton,

The recent returns turned out to be due to faulty CD Drives and we pulled all stocks to retest them. So we are confident that any units shipped from Brennan UK will be OK.

Paul
Brennan Support

Raymond Lamb

Dec 28, 2021, 10:28:58 AM12/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Anton

I found the returns process extremely easy, although I can understand that Brexit has complicated your situation.

The new unit I received does not have the problem and all my CDs are now ripped successfully. Currently setting up playlists and have successfully used shuffle play. So currently happy with CD functionality!

Now trying to get to grips with playing YouTube!

In summary, having not played any CDs for a number of years, I’m finding the Brennan B2 really good and am able to hear music I haven’t heard for ages

Raymond
Message has been deleted

Anton Heseltine

Dec 28, 2021, 12:38:54 PM12/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul, that was what I was hoping to hear.

Anton

Anton Heseltine

Dec 28, 2021, 12:41:32 PM12/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Ray, that is good feedback for me.

Anton