FLAC or Not?

Richard Terlisner

Nov 7, 2021, 11:46:44 AM11/7/21
to Brennan Forum
I'm reloading my music from an SSD onto a new unit (and also loading additional cd"s)..  Which is better, to use FLAC compression, or just use the wav or mp3 file?

JFBUK

Nov 7, 2021, 12:18:16 PM11/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

What is the format of your existing ripped music ?
Both FLAC and WAV are lossless, MP3 is "lossy".
FLAC and MP3 are compressed so will occupy less space on your hard drive than WAV.
Note that you have to to set the Brennan compression to 'None' if you want to maintain WAV files on your hard drive otherwise they will be automatically compressed when the Brennan is idle.

John

Davywhizz

Nov 7, 2021, 12:48:16 PM11/7/21
to Brennan Forum
If you are loading mp3 files to the B2 it will not convert them to FLAC and nor should it. It wouldn't improve the sound quality and the resulting files would take up more space, not less.

Richard Terlisner

Nov 7, 2021, 1:18:16 PM11/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the input gentlemen,

Most of the wav files are directly from cd's.  I have some live "bootleg" grateful dead that are in mp3.  Since they are live shows, the sound is not optimal.  Although I do have a few that came directly from the mixing board at the show.

I had to download all the music on the unit to a 500GB SSD.  After having the unit for a week, the USB quit importing and a week later the cd drive stopped reading and importing cd's.  Brennan just sent me another in the mail the other day.  Hopefully, this will go better.

Sounds like I should just load the music and not worry about it.  I am mostly a vinyl guy and run a dac when listening to cd's.  I also bought the 2TB drive, so space should not be a concern.