External CD drive possible issue

Brian Ward

Jan 6, 2021, 10:48:54 AM1/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi all

Just asking if anyone has had an issue with an external CD drive. I have successfully ripped 4605 CD's over the past 5 months and today for the first time my external CD drive seized up on me. I had successfully ripped around 16 CD's this afternoon when I put the CD it loaded and came up with the correct data - I pushed Rip and it all seized up.

With trepidation I turned off the B2 as no controls were working and turned it back on again and ripped another disc which went through but the following one seized up again. I turned off and on again and started using the internal CD drive which did work OK (including  on the one the external drive seized up on) for 4 or 5 CD's but again one did seize the B2.

Any thoughts on whether or not I may have worn out the external drive or perhaps because it happened with the internal one it may be another problem. I have uploaded the latest software which is showing as Jan 4th 2021.

I will run a scan disc shortly and then plug in my external drive and see if that has cleared it.

Any thoughts would be welcome as outside of this all seems to be well

Cheers
Brian W

Mike W

Jan 6, 2021, 11:56:08 AM1/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Brian, just checking, is the software version really jan 4th 2021 as the latest published on the web site is 9th dec 2020?

Daniel Taylor

Jan 6, 2021, 3:56:05 PM1/6/21
to Brennan Forum
When you get the seize up, is it just the CD drive, or is it the entire B2?  Will the B2 respond to button presses?
Did you say that the same symptoms occurred with the internal drive?

To further isolate the problem, try the external CD drive connected to your computer.  (Any albums you rip onto your computer can be Imported onto the B2 later.)

The latest version of software that the Brennan website has reported is 09 Dec. 2020 for either B2 or B2B.  You can get the version displayed either by pressing the Info button on the remote twice and see it on the front display; or by clicking on the cog (gear) icon at the top of the WebUI and see it at the top of the Status window.

Brian Ward

Jan 7, 2021, 1:17:55 AM1/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel

Thanks for your thoughts and to answer them
1) Yes the issue is 4th Jan 2021
2) Yes the B2 stopped responding to any controls - front button or Remote
3) No the internal drive seemed to work ok (albeit slower as expected)
4) My external drive worked fine linked direct to my laptop
5) I finished everything last night, ripping via internal drive, scan disc and then compression.
6) After 5)  above I then turned the B2 off using Play/Stop wait for clock then turned off

With some trepidation I linked it all back together whilst turned off and so far, fingers crossed, all is working fine.

Could the internet signal affect this operation, can't see how, as I noticed my signal as wavering quite a lot yesterday afternoon when all of this was happening

Cheers
Brian W

PMB

Jan 7, 2021, 5:27:16 AM1/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Martin released 4th January 2020 software for testing purposes, mainly for me and others to work with. It addresses several issues with Sonos and adds some hooks for future software updates around the 'apps'.

So it's not an official release just yet - I haven't found any problems running it so far so don't panic if you have already downloaded it.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Jan 7, 2021, 5:28:53 AM1/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Brian W,

If you have the external CD plugged into USB C, try moving it to USB A, in case it is a power issue or a USB port problem.

Paul
Brennan Support.