Forgotten root password

Pete Freeman

Jan 3, 2020, 9:34:34 AM1/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Is it possible to recover or reset the root password for a Brennan B2?

Thanks.

John Lang Wilson

Jan 3, 2020, 10:43:39 AM1/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Don't understand your question.

User: root Password: brennan It's not a problem, for most folk, for it to be public like this.

John Lang Wilson

Jan 4, 2020, 8:55:53 AM1/4/20
to Brennan Forum
I wonder if Stopping NAS, then restarting it would reset the password if you have changed it from the original as above.

That's a guess though.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 4, 2020, 9:37:27 AM1/4/20
to Brennan Forum
If the password was really changed, then you'd have to use the same process (whatever that was) to change it back again.  Fooling around in Linux is best left to those who know what they're doing.

VRB

Jan 4, 2020, 10:45:04 AM1/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Pete

see if this relates to your situation

The bit that was key to me was the win 10 network setting  add it as a network location folder to publish to   (brennanbb1/music/ to publish to)

(the publish to)  seems to me just another way to say add as a trusted folder seems obvious now but diddnt at the time

when i did this the credentials root and brennan were fixed or saved in win 10 network  but not untill

seems to me this is a windows security setting just not a very obvious one

this could be some off the other peoples problems seeing the brennan on the  network but being denied access

regards
               Vince

VRB

Jan 4, 2020, 10:59:29 AM1/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi  Pete

meant to say where it is

its in this pc add a network location  location wizard browse for your brennan  it should then  overwrite whatever you put in to ( root)  ( brennan )

regards
               V ince

Edwyn Corteen

Jan 4, 2020, 11:11:36 AM1/4/20
to Brennan Forum

Hi Pete, If you have changed the password from brennan but can not remember it you can reset it by rebuilding your SD card, look at Techy page for full details Look for New SD Card.

Pete Freeman

Jan 4, 2020, 11:20:03 AM1/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Thank you. Just what I was looking for.  I'll rebuild the card.

Nick B-T

Jan 27, 2024, 12:31:32 PMJan 27
to Brennan Forum
My root password has changed, but I haven't changed it. (the last time I logged in was two weeks ago to reinstall a flac file which had been corrupted on the internal disc and backup).  The password change is indicative perhaps of SD card corruption, or, worse, a hack (see https://groups.google.com/g/brennanb2/c/3G_gSdKEgYU).

I have tried the link provided by Edwyn (https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/Techy) but that page is no longer active, so no help.

Before making this comment, I:

1) Shut down, restarted, then restarted NAS

2) tried to log in through Mac Finder (my normal unproblematic route)

3) tried to log in via Mac Terminal and ssh (also previously unproblematic)

I have no problem viewing via the web server and via the iOS app. The contents of the SSD appear to be available.

All web-accessible functions appear to work, and numerous functions via the panel also appear to work.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Nick

Mark Fishman

Jan 27, 2024, 3:54:16 PMJan 27
to Brennan Forum
This forum has been archived and is no longer active. Please repost your question at the new Brennan forum, thebrennanforum.com