Optical output spec and high resolution audio

Steve L

May 4, 2021, 9:42:27 AM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum

I am thinking of buying a b2 – I have a couple of questions before I do. I will connect the b2 to an external dac. What is the spec. of the Optical SPDIF output? Also if I import high resolution audio to the b2 will it recognise and associate artist/album/track info –  will it play the files, and will the full data be output from the optical connection?

Also – does the b2 have a power on/off switch on it now?

 Thank you

Steve L

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 4, 2021, 10:49:54 AM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

The modern B2 does have a power on/off switch at the back now.

B2 file format ( artist/album/track info) is described here , the B2 does NOT use "music tags" although it does not mind them being there. So from a PC the music files (which can be seen via the B2's NAS service, look like this
a.JPG
and then in Adele
a.JPG
and finally in 25
the music tracks (compressed losslessley as flac).
a.JPG
Note the "coverart.jpg" is the image file for the CD's cover photo.

Regarding the optical connection, I am not technically competent to provide you with the details (someone else on the forum will), but it is my understanding that the SPDIF Optical output (which I use) sends digital information to the same specification (bit rate etc.) as at that encoded on a normal, commercial, music CD.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Daniel Taylor

May 4, 2021, 12:47:29 PM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred is correct about the B2 using the same specs as a CD for its digital output.  It is 16 bits at 44.1 kHz.
The B2 sometimes (often) has problems with higher resolution files.  Some it will play, and others have varying degrees of problems, from momentary drop-outs to not playing at all.  But in any case, if the B2 will play them, it down converts to 16/44.1 so there is no benefit to loading larger, higher res files.

Steve L

May 4, 2021, 2:23:05 PM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you for your comments - very helpful