jb7 - accessory to enable wifi connectivity?

penny vs

Sep 15, 2021, 1:09:30 PM9/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Everyone
I've a jb7 in the living room on one floor and would like to be able to use sonos in the kitchen or home/office on another floor via wifi rather than leads.  Is there an accessory that would enable this?  Please use language I can copy and paste into a google search in order to buy whatever you recommend.  Many thanks, Penny

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 5:34:22 PM9/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Penny

I am not a JB7 user so I can not help you directly, but I think it is worth pointing out that Brennan's B2 units will do what you describe you want to achieve. My B2 does this with my Sonos speakers.

Fred

PMB

Sep 16, 2021, 4:15:49 AM9/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Penny vs,

I'm not sure there is a device that accepts audio in and is a WiFi hotspot that you can connect the Sonos speakers to.

A possible solution is the Sonos Move which has Bluetooth. You will then need a Bluetooth transmitter - see the devices from Avantree, Blitzwolf and others. The transmitter connects to the Line Out on the JB7 and the Move (or any other brand Bluetooth speaker) will pair with the transmitter.

Please be aware that Bluetooth normally doesn't work very well through walls and concrete floors but may be OK if you have wooden floors between your upstairs and downstairs rooms. The transmitters I mentioned say they are high power so may have a longer range but that depends on how far the speakers are away and what type of walls and floors are in the way.

Paul
Brennan Support.

JFBUK

Sep 16, 2021, 6:50:12 AM9/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Penny,

Fred's suggestion is a good one .
It will give you the functionality you require,  the upgrade path/switch from JB7 to B2 is a well worn one and there is a lot of documentation and help available.

As Paul says Bluetooth may not work in your environment because of the distance and walls etc. There do exist wifi transmitter/receivers but they are few and not really designed for what you want to do. Any transmitter/receiver pair would require that your Sonos speaker to be have line-in connectivity and that is not true across the speaker range. I think currently only the Sonos 5 offers line-in.

I think there are some alternatives.

1. Sonos are launching the 'Sonos Port' which looks like it would be able to to make your JB7 visible to your network and Sonos as a source though playback control and choice of track would still be with the JB7.

2. You could add a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device to your network that your Sonos network could connect to. You would have to copy the music content from your JB7 to the NAS
and manually keep it in synch when you add any tracks to the JB7. This is really adding another separate music source and not particularly elegant.
It would require more set up and is a bit of a halfway house to a B2.

John