Unstable ... doesn't begin to cover it!!!

Mike Lance

May 3, 2021, 1:14:32 PM5/3/21
to Brennan Forum
First unit (refurbished one, because no new ones available) kept hanging - returned.
I realise this one will hang if given two things to do - too close together.
But really the wifi connection is awful, if I do get connected (mobile phone or laptop) ... it never lasts very long.
Every other day I want to launch this piece of kit ............. out of the window.
I can put the b2 two meters from the router ...... and stand by it and not be able to connect via mobile phone.
Would you like this (2nd unit) returned too?

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 3, 2021, 5:37:23 PM5/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Notno,

You sound a bit fed up, but please be aware that the forum is for/used by Brennan customers. There is alot of expertise here that can probably help
you with your issues if you want it.

First question we would ask is what software version are you on.
Second question would be what is the strength of the WiFi signal that your B2 is seeing (there is a menu item to tell you this.
I would also suggest that if you can indeed put your B2 two meters from your Router, that you take out the WiFi dongle and connect it
Using the internal Ethernet connection. This will eliminate all WiFi issues.

Fred.

PMB

May 4, 2021, 7:46:48 AM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Notnow,

In addition to Fred's questions - what router are you using? Is it a 'mesh' system as these seem to cause problems in some situations?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mike Lance

May 5, 2021, 10:37:57 AM5/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for taking an interest in my rant.
I'm away for a few days, but will get ethernet connected and take signal strength readings on my return.
Not sure what the router is ... just a BT job, but have 'disc' boosters over the house.
Thanks again
Mike

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 5, 2021, 12:11:51 PM5/5/21
to Brennan Forum
If you can leave the Ethernet cable connection going permanently, that is the BEST way of using your B2. Please also not you should remove the WiFi USB Dongle from the back of the B2 when using the Ethernet connection.

Fred

Peter Lowham

May 5, 2021, 2:18:28 PM5/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

You mention that your router is 'just a BT job' without posting the router model.  There are a number of posts here that state that BT recently issued a router firmware update (in early April)  which contains a major bug that causes wireless connections to fail if one of the connected units is on 2.4GHz and the other is on 5GHz.

The suggested temporary fix is to switch off the 5GHz channels while BT works on a fix.  This will force all of your devices to connect on the 2.4GHz channels.

It could be that your ire should be re-directed towards BT.

Regards,
Peter.

Mike Lance

May 13, 2021, 5:26:18 AM5/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Stable now.
Thanks for the advice ... I've connected it to the ethernet and it is stable.
Unfortunately this has meant disassembling my hifi cabinet, so it's not really easy to take the unit out for loading it up.
But with a 2nd drive to rip to and a usb extender, on the way, I will be able to load.

Last question ..... and this may be for another  thread ...
I just read that there is an update where ...
- B2B can now install a driver for USB Ethernet adaptors - so you can
plug a B2 into Ethernet without opening the box.
Settings->Maintenance->Advanced->Get Ethernet will install the driver. Turn
the B2 off and plug in the USB Ethernet adaptor and the B2 will use
Ethernet and/or Wifi

If I've understood that, would it mean that a short adaptor into USB C, and my ethernet cable into that ....... would work and I'd be more able to remove the box .. to my office to load etc

Thanks again
Mike

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 13, 2021, 7:38:45 AM5/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike

Glad your B2 is now "stable" .

You could indeed go the USB Ethernet route using a USB dongle and the new version of the B2's OS. This would indeed allow you to "unplug" your B2 and transport it.
However I am a proponent of simplicity and frugality :)) and the route I would take would be to purchase an a short Male to Female Ethernet extender and install that into the B2 permanently. This would move the ethernet socket to be outside the B2's case !
I think this one may do the job (I have not got one)
a.JPG

I think that even shorter ones can be obtained from Raspberry PI vending outlets eg
a.JPG
Going this route also means that one is not needing to add/invoke any new software (drivers).

Hope this helps

Fred

Mike W

May 13, 2021, 9:42:15 AM5/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred, good suggestions, I bought one of the Amazon ones first but found that the rectangular profile of the cable made fitting it through the existing hole in the B2 difficult so bought one similar to the Pihut with the rounded cable which fits nicely...

Mike

Mike Lance

May 16, 2021, 3:00:48 PM5/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes Fred & Mike ... good advice.
Male to Female short ethernet lead should arrive tomorrow.
I could be sorted!
Cheers
Mike

Davywhizz

May 17, 2021, 1:52:00 PM5/17/21
to Brennan Forum
I've just finished connecting my B2 by ethernet for the first time. The wifi was fine, but I've got the current problem with BT broadband, as described in another thread, so couldn't use the web UI as my B2 is on one frequency band and my tablet on another.

I bought a short ethernet extension, as recommended here, to hang out of the back of the B2 and ran a cable from the router to meet it. Fitting the extension was easy, though I had to be quite firm in bending the cable back on itself to take it out of the (round cable)slot on the rear panel. There isn't much room in there.

I also fitted a replacement SD card I've had for a while, so now have B2B software rather than the old B2 version. Now updated to the latest issue. It's recognised our various Sonos speakers around the house.

Everything seems to be working on ethernet. The IP address changed, as I'd expect, but I can now access the web UI again, even if BT fail to come up with a fix for their broadband issue.

I even remembered to remove the B2 wifi dongle, as I think I've read it can cause problems when it's in there alongside an ethernet connection.

Peter Lowham

May 17, 2021, 5:18:15 PM5/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Davywhizz,

The ethernet connection is, by a long way, the best way to access the B2. The difference in NAS performance is very noticeable and for me it is the only way to connect!

I also use  BT Broadband and have switched off the 5GHz channels, so everything wireless now uses the 2.4GHz band until BT fixes the problem and this is working well.

Yes, removing the Wifi dongle is a good move; if this started dropping out and reconnecting for any reason, the B2 could get into difficulties.  Some people say that you can use both, but the B2 Wifi is no longer needed so my view is to unplug it and this will keep you on the road to happiness!

Regards,
Peter.