Hooking up external CD Player to B2

Bob West

Sep 18, 2020, 8:53:53 PM9/18/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

Trying to hookup an external CD player.
While reading this forum many users suggested using an external CD player to rip the CDs for the B2 to make the process faster and to save wear on the B2 CD player.  As a result I bought a LG External DVD Writer Model GE24NU40 to use with the B2.  I am hoping that it will be compatible and work for this project (copying all my music CDs to the hard drive in the B2.  Haven't tried it yet since I need to get the right USB cable to hook it to the B2.  Will the B2 see this just like the B2s internal CD player and when I put a CD in the external drive will I be able to control it via the B2, or the remote or the ap?

That is a Micro Type B plug on the B2?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

keith...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2020, 10:08:20 PM9/18/20
to Brennan Forum
Bob,

Did the cd player come with a cable.  The micro side would go into the cd drive, and the usb 2.0 into the usb c port on the back of the b2.  Connections done with b2 powered off.
After the connection, when you power up, the b2 should be aware of the cd drive and you should be able to start ripping.  Should also work with the remote app.

Keiht Conrad
USA

PMB

Sep 21, 2020, 3:27:03 AM9/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bob,

The micro USB on the B2 cannot be used - only USB A and USB C are available to connect external devices.

Usually the LG would come with a cable with a USBA type plug on one end. This will go into either USB A or USB C on the B2. Make sure the B2 is powered off before connecting the LG.

Let us know how it goes.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Phil Cooke

Sep 21, 2020, 7:16:47 AM9/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bob,
I've been using a LG DVD Writer GP57EB40 for a couple of years now and never had a problem, works great. Be sure to use the Brennan instructions i.e. turn B2 off before connecting your external writer to USB A or USB C. I use C as my Wi-Fi is plugged into A.

Best of luck
Phil

Daniel Taylor

Sep 21, 2020, 8:42:58 AM9/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Apparently, not all LG external CD drives are created equal.  I have a model GP65NB60, and it too experiences multiple drop-outs when playing CDs.  It sort of seems like the B2 can't get its buffer refreshed fast enough to keep up with the music playing.  That suggests failed read attempts.

Bob West

Sep 23, 2020, 2:12:53 AM9/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Daniel, are you saying that at least in your case the LG 65 is too slow to satisfy the needs of the B2?

Daniel Taylor

Sep 23, 2020, 6:02:30 AM9/23/20
to Brennan Forum
That's not what I was thinking, but I suppose that might be one explanation.  I was thinking more along the lines of a communications problem - needing too many retries to keep up with the music.

I don't rip on my B2 - I do that on my computer.  So, even though playing a CD on the LG has drop-outs, I wonder if ripping might work okay, since it might not have to keep up with real time.

Daniel Taylor

Sep 27, 2020, 6:39:50 AM9/27/20
to Brennan Forum
I received this private message, which I think is worth sharing here:

"I tried ripping using the LG GE24NU40 thru the B2 USB C port and it ripped the same CD without a hitch or drop out.
It would be nice if I could play the CD thru it when hooked to the B2.  Once when I took the CD out of the LG and left the LG hooked to the B2 and tried to play the CD in the B2 drive got some god awful noise thru the speakers.  I then either disconnected the USB cable between the B2 and the LG and I may have pulled the power out of the LG and the B2 played the CD OK.
Seems strange."

I think you should be able to play a CD on the connected external CD drive.  But I don't know what should be expected of the internal drive when an external drive is connected.  I can see how the B2 might get confused in that case.  It'd be nice to hear from Brennan what the expected behavior should be.

PMB

Sep 28, 2020, 3:44:34 AM9/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I PM'd Bob to say that I asked Martin to test the GE24NU40 drive again and await his reply.

I have tried an ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U drive and it plays a CD OK.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Oct 2, 2020, 7:04:39 AM10/2/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bob,

Martin has confirmed that there is an issue using the GE24NU40 to play CDs but it rips OK - it's intended purpose.

Paul
Brennan Support.