Want debug stream off my TV

Michael Buffin

Nov 29, 2021, 11:18:28 PM11/29/21
to Brennan Forum
I tried the "TV UI" OFF setting but I assume that is not active at this time because nothing happened. I am using B2 to an HDMI switch (Kinivo 350BN) and then to an eARC extractor (HDFury Arcana) and then to a soundbar (Samsung HW-Q950A). Please don't ask how I got to this configuration! I have an OLED LG TV and don't want the static image sitting there while I listen to music. If I turn the TV off things don't go well. There are so many glitches in trying to get all this stuff to work together. Did I mention the Apple TV 4K that started the whole mess??

Davywhizz

Nov 30, 2021, 3:36:37 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
I know next to nothing about HDMI, but one of the things I've picked up is that the signal is never just audio and there isn't a way to split the audio and visual elements. Not helpful to you I know. I'm wondering if there may be a way to see something other than the debug log or if your soundbar might have an optical input (my last one did). Or Bluetooth.

Davywhizz

Nov 30, 2021, 3:41:20 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
... it seems to have both.

JFBUK

Nov 30, 2021, 4:31:24 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
I’m guessing (and I emphasise guess) that the TV when powered off is sending a power control command to your HDMI connected devices. So when you switch your TV off it’s telling the soundbar to switch off too. LG TVs use what they term Simplink to manage this so may be worth investigating.

John

PMB

Nov 30, 2021, 9:12:58 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi mbu,

The HDMI out from the B2 was originally introduced to provide a simple debug monitor (and digital audio) and has not been updated since then (very few people appear to use it). Having the 'TV UI' option 'on' does display a simple Track name, elapsed timer and artwork (if available).

Paul
Brennan Support.

Michael Buffin

Nov 30, 2021, 10:05:48 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you for your suggestions. Definitely turning off the TV provides a CEC signal for shutdown. I think I'm stuck. Using the Optical out on the B2 doesn't work because on the soundbar the optical stream is shared with the eARC stream and the Apple TV source is cut off. I was using a direct HDMI connection to the soundbar but suffered frequent sound fadeouts (the B2 tracks are fine) but that is perhaps preferable to the TV display problem. I agree with someone somewhere who suggested that the fadeout is the result of a signal interruption from some other part of the system. Note to Davywhizz: the Arcana box was designed to split the audio and visual signals from the Apple TV (and do other things) to get the best picture and Dolby Atmos sound (Apple has it's own way of sending the HDMI signal) (designed specifically for use with the Sonos Arc soundbar). It's a whole other mess. I would have gone the Sonos way (especially with the B2 integration) except I have one of those only-in-America open-plan houses with soaring ceilings and the Arc soundbar works best in more intimate spaces.

Michael Buffin

Nov 30, 2021, 10:09:58 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
PS: turning CEC (Simplink) off on the TV did not work out well either.

JFBUK

Nov 30, 2021, 10:21:04 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
could you live with the TV being on but have something more palatable displayed ?
Assuming your TV is on your home network and has a browser then maybe you could bring up the web UI on your TV screen to effectively "paint over" the debug info with album art ?
I have run the web UI on my TV for display purposes only with the sound was not being routed by the TV ( I have optical direct from the B2 to my amp) so this may not work in your environment.
I found the Mobile UI looked best cosmetically.

John