B2 connect to laptop

bill glover

Dec 19, 2021, 5:39:31 AM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Can anyone help me please?
I m an old aged pensioner with a fair sized collection of cds/lps ,OK  but not great on computers.
I have purchased a B2 and  set it up ok. I now wish to use my laptop.
I gone on to google and entered 192.186.0.4
Brick wall, all I get is a company in the USA plus a load rubbish
What am I doing wrong @
Can anyone help ?
Bill Glover

Daniel Taylor

Dec 19, 2021, 6:09:53 AM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
First, you need to run the Setup WiFi procedure (from the Settings menu) on your B2, where you choose the SSID of your router and enter its password.  Then you enter the IP address that the B2 displays in the Address bar of your browser.  The B2's WebUI is not a webpage that you can find in Google.  The address bar is where you would type google.com if you want to go to Google.

JFBUK

Dec 19, 2021, 6:28:40 AM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bill,

when you say

I gone on to google and entered 192.186.0.4

I think part of your problem may be that you have mis-typed the IP address of your B2 into your browser (unless you mistyped it in your post )

Most home networks will allocate addresses in the range 192.168.0.x

So try

192.168.0.4

John

JFBUK

Dec 19, 2021, 7:11:28 AM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Bill replied to me via Email

Hi JFBUK

I tried this a least 50 the last few weeks but nothing works

Many thanks

Bill

Bill,

please use the REPLY ALL button. That way your reply gets posted on the forum and everyone can see it.

Going back to your problem and apologies if these seem dumb questions ...

It is the browser bar your typing into and not the google search bar ?
You are checking that the IP address is the same as the current one that is on your B2 ( you can see this in the scrolling display on the front panel) ?
The IP address can change each time you start up unless you have specifically reserved in in the router.

Screenshot 2021-12-19 120531.jpg

Thanks

John

Daniel Taylor

Dec 19, 2021, 7:24:31 AM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
I just discovered this in my email inbox:
Hi Daniel
I have done this and that was accepted, But not on my laptop
Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill,
To reply in the forum thread, click/tap on the "Reply all" button at the bottom.  Although it implies it, it does not send an email to everybody, just to those who have chosen to receive it.  It does post inline on the thread you started.  This keeps all the information in the thread so that all can contribute or benefit from the problem.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2021, 11:36:04 AM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bill,

Lets break this down into steps
1) connect your B2 to your house wifi.
2) get the IP number that you see NOW on your B2's screen.
3) go to your laptop, (which should also be connected to your house wifi) and open the browser
4) in the browser bar (as shown above) type in the number you found in step (2).

You should now see the B2's web ui page.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2021, 3:42:19 PM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Just got this to my Private email

Hi Fred

I have done exactly that but it does not connect to my laptop

What I do get is a shop in the USA or a Tree surgeon site

Many thanks for your help

Bill

Hi Bill

There is something very wrong with your house WiFi / Router setup if, when you enter an IP number of the form 192.168.xxx.xxx into your browser and you are taken to an EXTERNAL website!  192.168...... Addresses are LOCAL to your house!!!!!

What sort of house Router system are you using?

From the front controls of your B2 can you please confirm that you can get the B2 to play a station from the internet radio (to confirm that the B2 is indeed connected to your WiFi and that it can see the internet)

Fred

Hi Fred

Just played BBC radio radio one loud and clear forgot to turn the volume down

Bill

Hi Bill

When replying to emails from the Forum, please go back to the forum and find your "Thread" (your question) and use the 'reply to all' button to place your answer. This way a record of your reply is added to the Thread (so other can see the history and jump in to help) and to all people who have contributed to the Thread.

Thanks

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2021, 3:55:28 PM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bill,

OK your B2 is set up OK if, as you report, you can get it to play from the internet Radio.
This proves the B2 is functioning exactly as it should and there is almost certainly nothing wrong with it.

Please understand that the B2 does NOT connect to anything of itself (apart form YouTube and The Internet Radio which are working), It sits on your House WiFi waiting for things to connect to it. Thus if when you try and make a connection to
it and you are taken to some place else, this is not being CAUSED by the B2.

The problem lies between your Laptop and or your house Router (or mesh system if this is what you are using) and is not under the control of the B2.

I would suggest as a first step that you power OFF the Laptop (if it is a windows Laptop please use the "Restart" option rather than simple "Shut Down", the B2 and your House Router (the entire mesh if this is what you have). wait 5 mins then
1) power up the Router / mesh   and wait 10 mins for this to stabilise.
2) power up the B2 and make a note of the IP No that appears on the front display (this is given to the B2 by the Router and may have changed!).
3) power up your Laptop (the Restart should have done this anyway).
4) go into your browser and type in the B2's IP number.

Tell us what happen now

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Dec 19, 2021, 7:24:59 PM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
The symptoms suggest to me that Bill is not typing the IP address in the browser's address bar.  He said "I gone on to google and entered 192.186.0.4"  Google cannot find the B2's WebUI.  Enter the IO address in the place where you are supposed to type a website address.  Tell us which browser you use and someone will post a picture of where the address bar is.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2021, 9:10:23 PM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Further to Daniels post above, here is a picture of where you should enter the IP number in the Chrome browser
a.JPG

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2021, 9:20:44 PM12/19/21
to Brennan Forum
I have also had more private emails sent to me, i am going to copy them below
From Bill ---
Hello Fred I’ve done what you suggested, same IP number appears. No better Hi Bill,
To Bill ----
Hi Bill
Please use the Forum to conduct this conversation, I am having to copy what your emails to my private email address there.

Getting the same IP number is NOT a problem, as I said the IP number you see on the B2 is given to the B2 by your Router . IP numbers are the responsibility of your Router NOT the B2.
Have you tried typing the number into your Browser to see if the rebooting solved problem?

Fred
From Bill --

Yes Fred I  have, Same result

Bill

To Bill --

What sort of house router are you using? Usually this comes from your ISP company.

Fred
From Bill --

Hi Fred

I can’t see any name on the router

Bill

To Bill --

Hi Bill,

Hmm!

First please check that your laptop is connected to the same router as the Brennan (and not to your next door neighbour's).

If it is then

Your router will have come with a label on it with the WiFi name (SSID) and WiFi password but it should also have an "Admin" password and an IP number on it.

If it does, (as with the Brennan), from your laptop, type in the IP number for the router and when the Router login page comes up, log in a Admin using the admin password. That should tell you the make of your router.

Fred
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2021, 8:23:39 AM12/20/21
to Brennan Forum
I got this from Bill to my Private Email

Morning Fred

I’ts working. I don’t believe it!

I don’t know or how why.

Many thanks to you and everybody for their time and help.

Thank you

Bill Glover

So I am glad this issue is now resolved :-)

Fred