How to get DLNA to work!?

Jason D

Nov 30, 2020, 6:28:25 PM11/30/20
to Brennan Forum
This is driving me nuts... I can't get any client to pickup the DLNA server of the B2 in my environment.  I can access the device via NAS just fine.  I have the latest update (Nov24)...

How do you get this to work?  What client are you using... any help!?

Jason

PMB

Dec 1, 2020, 4:16:50 AM12/1/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jason,

You'll need the latest software 26th Nov 2020 and then go to the Maintenance menu and select DLNA > ON - the B2 will reboot - this will turn off the new Sonos option.

After doing the above my B2 showed up on my Ruark R2 as 'B2 DLNA server' and I was able to play music off the B2.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jason D

Dec 2, 2020, 6:30:05 PM12/2/20
to Brennan Forum
So, I'm able to get to the Brennan via a NAS client.  Input the IP Address and provide the root/brennan authentication seems to work.  But this is NOT DLNA.  With DLNA, I shouldn't have to input anything - it just works.  From any device, say, a Roku, Windows workstation, iPhone, etc.

What am I doing wrong?  Does anyone else actually have the DLNA server running on the Brennan AND using a DLNA client on a local device.  If so, how did you get it to work?

Jason

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2020, 8:59:10 PM12/2/20
to Brennan Forum
OK Jason,

I can see you are becoming a little frustrated.
First, well done on switching on the NAS, this proves that your B2 is connected to your house Router OK and presumable to the internet OK too as you have posted this message from you house!
So lets do what Paul suggested above.
1) make sure your B2's software is up to date by (from the nob and screen on the front) selecting "Settings > Web Upgrade". After the B2 has automatically Rebooted, open your UI on your Phone or Computer and check that your update went OK
by clicking on the little cog. You should see
a.JPG
Software Version B2B Nov 24, ot Software Version B2 Nov 26

2) Now turn on DLNA by (from the front controls again) selecting "Settings > Maintenance > DLNA" at this point toggling (pressing the nob) will Turn DLNA On/Off. Make sure it is "ON".
Then press the front "Play/Stop" button and hold it in until your B2 says "Saving". Let the save complete (the front screen returns to normal) and power your B2 off then on again after 30 seconds.

----------- At this point your B2 should have become a DLNA device on your house network and (allowing time for other devices on the network to detect it) your B2's music collection should be available to them via DLNA.

I hope this helps.

Fred

Jason D

Dec 2, 2020, 9:24:47 PM12/2/20
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Fred... I was about to write a "testy" email, as I had already done everything you suggested.  So, just for grins and giggles, I checked out the version, and it was Nov2.  Strange because I DID download the file from the website and upgraded via usb drive.  Maybe something failed there... so I updated via web this time, and now have the Nov24 version... and guess what... DLNA WORKS!

Thank you!

Jason

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2020, 9:43:10 PM12/2/20
to Brennan Forum
There you go :))

Pleased that you are now sorted.  I think that your USB upgrade may have done something (as you appear to be on B2B software rather than B2 (that means you also have enhanced bluetooth capability) - I understand that the B2 to B2B upgrade
delivered a new underling version of Linux (which is the heart of the Brennan software) which could not be delivered using the normal Web Upgrade. For major changes I usually write myself a new SD card. However a normal "Web Upgrade" is a thing to do following a USB or SD card update to ensure that one is indeed on the very latest version afterwards.

What do you do with the DLNA. I tried turning it on and it was visible from my windows 10 PC and I could play its content - but I could do that with NAS also.  I don't get the point what am I missing?

What I like is the Sonos capability - I found that to be able to use the B2 UI to drive B2 content to my Sonos speakers is just great.

Fred

PMB

Dec 3, 2020, 4:08:57 AM12/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

Thanks for your input on this one!

Remember only Sonos OR DLNA can be used - not both - turning DLNA on switches off the Sonos feature.

DLNA (Digital Life Network Alliance) is a WiFi protocol that allows music to be shared between devices. On my Ruark R2 I select Media Player > Shared media - it finds the B2 as 'B2 music server' > I can then navigate the folders and play music on the R2.

Paul
Brennan Support.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2020, 4:45:56 AM12/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Ok Paul,

Thanks for that DLNA info - I can see where you are coming from with that service - all I have are some Sonos speakers, an old amplifier system and my B2 (which is all I need) so I d not think I need to worry about having a DLNA server going, I only turned it on to see what it did :).  I have Sonos active now and I am using that.

Fred