Cannot upload 192/24 WAV or FLAC to B2

David Donohue

Dec 1, 2021, 10:45:12 PM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I read somewhere in here that HiRes playback was possible, but I have not been able to get High Resolution files to transfer onto the B2?  Does anyone have advice?  I've tried from Mac and PC, and both WAV files and FLAC files.  They start but don't complete.

Thanks in advance - David

Peter Lowham

Dec 1, 2021, 11:27:29 PM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

What method are you using to transfer the files to the B2?  If it is via a USB stick, then it is possible that the stick is a fake unit, and these cause all sorts of problems.

The B2 file transfer method does not care what the file types are, so it looks like there is some sort of physical problem here.

Regards,
Peter.

Davywhizz

Dec 2, 2021, 2:31:19 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
When I got my B2 I imported six or so high res files direct from a memory stick. They were already in FLAC format. However, all but one stuttered badly on playback. The one that didn't was 24/96. I deleted them, converted them to CD quality using dBpoweramp on my laptop and reloaded them to the B2.

The other thing you need to know is that, whether or not the B2 can play high res files, it will downsample them to 16/44.1. Thus there's no benefit and, of course, higher res files take up more disk space.

All my high res albums are now on a USB stick in the back of my streamer.

PMB

Dec 2, 2021, 6:53:51 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

If you are using the web UI 'upload' function and trying to upload several tracks at the same time, it may be a problem with the WiFi signal at the B2. This can be checked by using the front control to go to the Maintenance menu and selecting ' WiFi Strength' - it needs to be around the -50dBm mark for a reliable connection - let us know what figure you are getting.

The B2 will store 192/24 files but as Davywhizz says these can tend to stutter on play back. I have several 96/24 files on my B2 that play OK.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Donohue

Dec 2, 2021, 9:40:19 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
I have been using the Web UI upload, and my WiFi strenght is -39dBm even though I am in the same room as my router.  I will look into hardwiring since I don't know any other solution.

I'll also look into a USB stick into the back of the unit.  I tried using my external drive with the files on it, but the Web UI doesn't see the USB, so I'll go through the menu tree and look for another option.

Is it true that it down samples everything to 44/16?

Thanks all,

David

Davywhizz

Dec 2, 2021, 11:40:25 AM12/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David

On the downsampling question, sadly yes. Here it is from Paul (from Brennan) in an old post:

PMB
25 Feb 2021, 08:32:49

to Brennan Forum
Hi Conor,

Daniel is correct in saying that the B2 down samples higher bit rates to 16 bit 44.1kHz i.e. CD standard. I have stored and played 24 bit 96kHz OK but have heard that higher bit rates don't play.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Dec 3, 2021, 5:40:40 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

-39dBm is a good signal so may not be the issue however an Ethernet connection should provide a rock solid connection.

The general tip is to fit a short male-female RJ45 cable to the B2 to allow easier connection/disconnection of the Ethernet cable -
Male-Female Extension cable.jpg
The slot in the B2's case allows for a maximum cable size of 5.5mm diameter - don't forget to include a loop in the cable so the cable exits through the rear panel with putting strain on the connector/circuit board - see our Techy Stuff page - link - for pictures.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Donohue

Dec 7, 2021, 11:58:52 AM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
I finally got my library loaded onto the B2.  For my 192khz/24bit and 96khz/24bit files I used dBpoweramp as  Davywhizz suggested to first convert them to 44.1khz/16bit and then to Flac.  I found this to be the most reliable method.

Sometimes the B2 would hang up on importing 96khz files, so I just said the heck with it and converted everything in dBpoweramp.

I also hardwired it to my network to eliminate any WiFi questions.

@Paul - I am sure you have heard this before, but it would be nice to have the ethernet socket on the back cover.  It's pretty tight inside when looping the ethernet cable as you suggested.

Thanks for all your help guys.  Very much appreciated!!!

David

PMB

Dec 8, 2021, 3:47:57 AM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Glad to hear that you managed to upload your files.

There's simply not room for an Ethernet socket on the current B2.

Paul
Brennan Support.