Brennan App not connecting

Ian Roberts

Mar 23, 2022, 2:23:59 PM3/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi - since updating the Brennan app today I am having an issue with connecting to my B2. It searches and recognises the correct IP address then continually shows the message 'Reconnecting to (the B2 IP address)'.
Also (and possibly connected) the Web UI will not recognise my Sonos speakers.

Any ideas?

Regards Ian

JFBUK

Mar 23, 2022, 4:35:33 PM3/23/22
to Brennan Forum

Hi Ian,

Have you tried a power recycle of your router ?
A power recycle of your B2 and Sonos might be needed too.

John

Ian Roberts

Mar 23, 2022, 4:55:25 PM3/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John - yes I've done that - I have just read another post that seems to be related to this and other problems I'm having.

'Yes, the B2 MUST be connected to the same network (SSID) as the Sonos speakers for the Brennan/Sonos system to work. The Brennan is passive as regards connecting to your home WiFi - it asks what you connect it to for an IP address - it is the job of your home WiFi system to supply this IP number and the Brennan just accepts whatever it is given.

Home WiFi/Ethernet addresses look like this  IP=AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD generically - where each A,B,C and D represent a number in the range 0-9.
In a usual setup the first two are IP=192.168.CCC.DDD and for the Brennan/Sonos system to work the third number (say IP=192.160.1.DDD) must be the same, while the last numbers (DDD) MUST be different for the Brennan and each Sonos speaker.

From what you say you have some sort of mesh network/router system in your house -  these are a bit of a black art to configure. I must warn you that the devices you want to use to connect to the Brennan's Web User Interface MUST also be on the same AAA.BBB.CCC part of your system, or they will not be able to see the Brennan.''

Not sure I understand it on first reading - maybe you do? I will check a few things out.

Regards Ian

JFBUK

Mar 23, 2022, 5:01:51 PM3/23/22
to Brennan Forum

Hi

Yes check the IP address on the B2 front panel.
Do you have a simple wifi network , I.e. no network extenders or repeaters ?

John

Ray Dion

Mar 23, 2022, 5:30:54 PM3/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Probably worthwhile to share the brand/model of your router as well.
Just a nuance in the above. Depending on your router, systems do not necessarily have to be on the same SSID. You are however very sure you have visibility if they are. It's a safe bet. I have a NETGEAR R6700 router. I have what is called two subnets. One is for private (family) use and one is for public/guests that I share the password with. On the private subnet I have devices that access from two different SSIDs. One is networkname, the other is networkname-5G. So yes one is 2.4G and one is 5G. I also have wired connections. They all work with the B2 just fine because the router lets them. Nothing on the public subnet sees my B2 or any other computer my family uses, they just have access to the internet. Helpful for friends night over. A pain when my phone decides it wants to connect to the guest network instead. It just happens, rarely.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Mar 24, 2022, 3:37:54 AM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian
This happened to me - a long while ago and the cure was a simple complete clear of Browser cache - just go into setting and clear it all down then rebooting the B2 may be all you need. Good Luck - Cheers Russ

PMB

Mar 24, 2022, 4:39:34 AM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

When you say "Hi - since updating the Brennan app today...." did you mean you did a Web Upgrade on the B2?

We are working on new versions of the 'apps' but as far as I know haven't released any updates yet.

Please check if the IP Address shown on the B2 has changed.

If yo mean the 'app', try uninstalling the app, restart your phone and install the app again.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Ian Roberts

Mar 24, 2022, 10:31:28 AM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ray - the router is a HAP AC LITE.
Due to a rural location, I receive an internet speed of around 30 Mbps via a microwave transmitter and a dish that feeds the house.
The Sonos system works perfectly for the Sonos radio stations they provide but has only ever managed to play a few seconds of anything from the B2. The B2 works flawlessly with the wired speakers.
If I have 2 different SSID's (I am not certain I do) could that be causing the issue?
Regards Ian

Ian Roberts

Mar 24, 2022, 10:32:57 AM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Russ - no luck with that Im afraid.
Regards Ian

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2022, 12:03:55 PM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

I would suspect that your B2 is not getting the WiFi signal strength it needs to communicate with your Sonos system.
So we need to ask the B2 what it is seeing. To do this, from the front controls/ menu system, go "Main menu - Settings - Maintenance - Wifi Strength", and tell us what the front display says.

Fred

Ian Roberts

Mar 24, 2022, 12:18:48 PM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred -  WiFi strength is showing as 67 - 77 dBm - the router is less than 4m away. I was just looking into how to connect the B2 with a cable directly from the router as I have tried everything else I can think of including wiring the Sonos speakers directly to the wifi router with no effect.
Regards Ian

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2022, 2:20:41 PM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

Well there I suspect is your problem, -67 to -77 is too weak , you really need a signal less than -50 .
As your router is so near I would recommend you make a wired ethernet connection (into the inside of the back case where there is an ethernet plug) of the B2 or using a USB ethernet adapter. Note when you do this the B2 will likely acquire a new IP number which you will need to use.

Fred

Ian Roberts

Mar 24, 2022, 2:34:07 PM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Fred - lets hope that I get that when wired in. The Brennan site suggests that in order to use an ethernet cable 'You will need a B2B SD card - all recent B2s' - not sure what that means.

Regards Ian

Daniel Taylor

Mar 24, 2022, 3:21:15 PM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
>"site suggests that in order to use an ethernet cable 'You will need a B2B SD card"
I don't know about that.  I'm pretty sure you can use an ethernet cable plugged into the inside back of the B2 with either B2 or B2B software.  Maybe the quote refers to the new code that allows use of a USB ethernet adapter, which requires a driver to be installed.

Regardless of that, B2B is the current and preferred level of software.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2022, 3:47:36 PM3/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian

If you want to use a USB Ethernet adapter to connect your B2 by Ethernet cable then indeed you will need to be running the latest version of the Brennan software (the USB drivers for this adapter were only added recently). However if you plug your
ethernet cable into the B2's internal adapter which sits on the Pi board which is at the heart of the B2, then any version of the Brennan software will work.

You can tell which version of the Brennan Software you are running by pressing "Info" on the little remote twice and looking at the B2's front screen. or using the B2 Web UI, by clicking on the cog icon thus.
a.JPG
As you can see my Software Version is "B2B Mar 10 2022"
If your version says "B2 month year" then you will need to get a new SD Card (with the software on it) from Brennan.
If your version says "B2B month year" then you can upgrade it to the version you see above by, from the front panel menu system going "Main menu > Settings > Web Upgrade)

To plug an ethernet cable into the back of the B2, remove the top two screws on the back panel (marked with an <) and plull the back out about 4 cm or 1.5 inches NO MORE THAN THIS) and you will see where to plug it in
a.JPG

Fred

PMB

Mar 25, 2022, 5:04:14 AM3/25/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

Standard Ethernet cables are often too large to fit comfortably through the slot in the rear panel. Many of us have fitted a short Ethernet extension cable, which tend to have a smaller diameter cable, and allow easy disconnection of the Ethernet cable, if required. This kind of thing -
Male-Female Extension cable.jpg

The loop in the cable, as it exits through the rear panel is important.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Ian Roberts

Mar 25, 2022, 11:24:31 AM3/25/22
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks to all who have suggested fixes - I fitted a flat ethernet cable and connected directly to my router (I was getting low wifi strength due to thick stone walls) and that has fixed the issue - Sonos speakers playing everything without glitches. Should I fit the new B2B SD card anyway?
Happy Days.

Ian

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2022, 12:13:53 PM3/25/22
to Brennan Forum
If your B2's software is the B2 version, then yes, I would reccomend that you upgrade to the B2B version.
If your B2's software is the B2B version, then a Software Update using the B2's menu system will surfice.

Fred

Ian Roberts

Mar 26, 2022, 8:21:22 AM3/26/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Fred - please can you let me know how I upgrade to the B2B version?

Regards Ian

Ian Roberts

Mar 26, 2022, 9:21:59 AM3/26/22
to Brennan Forum
....I can't see a replacement SD card to update B2 to B2B on the Brennan website - have I misunderstood something?

Regards

JFBUK

Mar 26, 2022, 10:04:50 AM3/26/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

there are two ways to update to B2B. You can't do it via a Web upgrade from the menu.
B2B needs a later version of the Linux operating system so can't be simply upgraded in situ.

1. Download the software and create a new bootable SD card as described here

Screenshot 2022-03-26 135004.jpg

You will need a new blank SD card, ,an SD card reader/writer and of course a computer as above.

2. Order a new SD card loaded with the B2B software from Brennan

The best thing is to email   thebrennanb2  @  gmail  .  com  - no spaces.
Tell them what model of B2 you have, when you purchased it and where you are in the world.
Also whether you have  B2 with the larger side mounted SD card or the micro SD card which sits inside the B2 case.
Paul from Brennan will pick up your email and/or pick up your need from this thread next week.
Make sure you say you want the card loaded with the B2B software

John

Rik

Mar 26, 2022, 11:34:04 AM3/26/22
to Brennan Forum
The B2b software is loaded on all new cards now and you can order from the website, specifying, micro or older standard (side slot) card.

Ian Roberts

Mar 26, 2022, 5:02:40 PM3/26/22
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks