Feedback in terms of naming JB7 format functions

kemu...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2021, 8:24:46 AM12/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Quick feedback:

I have owned  and used B2s for five years.  I loaded everything up five years ago and incrementally add little.  I back everything up to an external hard drive.

I love to use my Brennan as a personal Pandora and just play everything on random.  It's amazing and almost always hugely pleasurable.

Because of that, early every January I delete all of the Christmas music off the Brennan B2 and leave it on the external hard drive.  Early every December, I use the restore function and fully reload the hard drive onto the B2, restoring all the Christmas music.  (Since it will matter in your interpretation, I don't know if I tried to use this function in Dec 2020 due to not being in this house last year for December for pandemic reasons).

This year, I tried to do that but the Restore function was gone.  Before my first holiday party yesterday I didn't have time to figure out that JB7 was apparently a format even for early B2 music and that the restore function I needed was under a JB7-labeled submenu.  I have never owned nor used a JB7.  Anyway, my guests missed out on my full Xmas collection yesterday.

The silver lining is that I was reduced to playing the individual CDs singly thru the B2 and my kids were astoundingly rapt in attention to the Johnny Cash Christmas album's spoken word portions as it played while we prepped for the party.  They were immunized to all other sound while that album was on, which was fun to observe.

Anyway, not sure what to suggest, but this is feedback that for the more casual user the JB7-label on those functions was far from intuitive.

Keith

kemu...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2021, 8:28:03 AM12/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Also, the suggestion to "Use Restore" when I tried to "Import" could be more helpful as "Use Restore under JB7".  I looked for Restore but it didn't exist, and didn't look under the JB7 functions because as I mentioned, I have never owned one.

Keith

Daniel Taylor

Dec 5, 2021, 9:36:00 AM12/5/21
to Brennan Forum
It's not clear to me whether you need this clarification from me or not.  But for those who might, here it is anyway.
If a B2 owner has never had a JB7, there is no need for the JB7 functions of Backup or Restore.  The commands to use for B2, without need of backward compatibility with a JB7, are Export and Import.  The Export/Import commands maintain the B2's internal folder structure on the backup disk.  Because so many folks have had confusion between the different sets of commands, Brennan moved the JB7 specific commands to their own menu - rightly so, IMO.

Mike W

Dec 5, 2021, 10:06:13 AM12/5/21
to Brennan Forum
For me it's one of those things that realistically could be switched over.

An import/export for JB7/B2 users which I'm sure won't be happening that often and backup/restore for B2 users which, if we all follow the guidance, should be happening much more frequently. After all that is what we are doing, creating a backup.

Mike

kemu...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2021, 11:32:24 AM12/5/21
to Brennan Forum
I don't know how, but even though I never owned a JB7, my backup from a 2015-ish era B2 is in the JB7 format.  Was that a default or an option I elected, not sure.  I don't know the model or software iteration but the unit was one of the last with no on/off switch on the back, I think.

Keith

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2021, 12:34:23 PM12/5/21
to Brennan Forum
The B2 can use the JB7 functions to move music to or from a JB7, it can also logically therefore use the JB7 functions to make "backups" for itself that will work as expected.
However, the newer B2 export and import functions do a better job as the B2 export function is incremental in how it works and therefore faster.

What you MUST NOT do is try and mix and match the two functions together, that will not work.

In terms of your CHRISTMAS music, a recent addition to the B2's function was the addition of a special playlist called specifically "blacklist".
Any music added to the "blacklist" playlist will not be included when playing random across the B2 music library.
Therefore you no longer need to add and remove your Christmas music each year.

Fred

Keith Gardner

Dec 6, 2021, 5:16:44 AM12/6/21
to Brennan Forum
As an ex-jb7 user, I purchased the B2 in mid 2016, the 'Export' capability did not exist according to the supplied documentation. Hence the use of 'Backup/Restore' was the only option in the early days.

I have to contradict 'fred.w' as both Backup and Restore are incremental and are not slower than Import/Export. Both options are equally useful, just use what suits you best.

I still tend to use Backup/Restore. I transferred my CD's long ago, and nowadays when I add downloaded mp3 files, I compile them to the B2 backup drive using the PC, and at intervals carry out a 'Restore' from the backup to update the B2. This scans the files and only copies the new music files. Quick and efficient.

I also keep an annual archive copy of the B2 music using Export.

Keith G

PMB

Dec 6, 2021, 9:41:07 AM12/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith (who started this thread),

Some B2 only owners were mistakenly using 'Backup to C' so we moved it to a sub menu within the USB section i.e. USB Functions >> JB7 Functions.

The preferred backup for B2 is 'Export to C' and 'Import USB C' - USB Functions

For JB7 and B2 owners it's 'Backup to C' and 'Restore USB C' - USB Functions >> JB7 Functions

Paul
Brennan Support.

kemu...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2021, 11:20:05 AM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
OK, thanks, that makes sense and explains what happened.  Keith

kemu...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2021, 11:21:09 AM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, very helpful!