Spotify

richh...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2021, 8:07:06 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Haven’t been active on here for a while and have been trying to work out how to get Spotify to play via the B2 (as that is linked to speakers). I cannot work out why I do not see the extra setting.  I’m an owner of a B2 2Tb box and have seen something mentioned about the SD card, but don’t understand it. Could someone please explain in a “for dummies” way?

PMB

Jan 30, 2021, 10:03:59 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richh...,

You need B2B version software on the B2 in order to load Libresoft, which is required for Spotify. You can check your B2 version by pressing INFO on the remote twice - the B2 will display either B2 xxxx or B2B xxxx (where xxxx is the date). If you don't have B2B xxxx you'll need to replace the SD Card or reprogram it.

Let us know which software version you have and we will advise from there.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Jan 30, 2021, 10:05:20 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richh

The reason for not seeing the 'Get Librespot' option could be that you are running on the 'B2 xxx yy zzzz' software.  The B2 needs to be running on 'B2B xxx yy zzzz' software, with the latest version being 'B2B Jan 26 2021'. The option is located in 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Advanced' --> 'Get Librespot' if it is available.

Alternatively, if your software version is 'B2B May 19 2020' or older then this option will not be present.  You can usually address this but running 'Settings' --> 'Web Upgrade'.

You can find out the version either through the front panel and remote control (press the 'Info' button twice and look for 'Version ...........' on the B2 front panel or through the WebUI go to the left hand window then click on the little 'cog wheel'.  This brings up the 'Settings and Status' window which gives the 'Software version .........'

The SD card is the piece of hardware that holds the 'B2' or 'B2B' software (not the music).  There are two types of SD card;

The earlier B2s, pre Spring 2017, use a full size SD card (which protrudes out of the right hand side of the B2 casing)
The later B2s, post Spring 2017, use a smaller microSD card (which is inside the B2 casing)

The cards both perform exactly the same function and use the same software set, so other than the physical size change there are no differences between them.

If you are running on 'B2' software and wish to upgrade to 'B2B' software, then you can order the (micro)SD card from Brennan at a cost of £10.

You can also download the 'B2B' software from the Brennan website, and copy this software to your existing (micro)SD card at no cost.  The instructions to do this are found at:

Regards,
Peter.

richh...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2021, 11:09:36 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, it’s running B2 2021 Jan 26 (or words to that effect).

So I have to remove the internal SD card?

Davywhizz

Jan 30, 2021, 11:45:04 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes, and fit the new one (or refit the old one if you decide to reflash it to  B2B). It's easy if you're careful.There are instructions and a picture on the website, but basically you unplug the B2 and remove two screws on the back panel (marked with chevrons). Then use a screwdriver to prise the panel out BUT only about an inch and a half, just enough to see the SD card. Take the old card out of its slot and put the new one in, then replace the panel. Make sure the new card is the right way up - by noting how the old one comes out.

Do a "web upgrade", then "get librespot" using the B2 menu.

I found my Spotify app could then see the B2 as one of the available playback devices. At first I found tracks were stuttering, but it wasn't a B2 issue: it was corrected by uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app on my tablet.

Good luck

richh...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2021, 12:11:03 PM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Cheers

Mike W

Jan 30, 2021, 12:55:49 PM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rich, it's not too difficult if you follow the instructions link posted by Peter. I would suggest flashing on a new card keeping the original one as "insurance".

The Spotify feature works really well but you do need to have a premium account to be able to use it with the Brennan.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask if anything gets confusing

Mike