Static

David Kemp

Oct 28, 2020, 5:28:47 AM10/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Well, I've now ripped about 140 CDs with my new B2 using an external USB CD drive which is a lot faster than the B2 drive. I thought I'd listen to some music on the Brennan last night but two of the six CDs I had a listen to had noisy static sound on the tracks. The CD player is a Samsung SE-S084 (2010). Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be the culprit and if so what external drive you'd recommend.

Tremeks

Oct 28, 2020, 5:46:12 AM10/28/20
to Brennan Forum
For info, I've ripped about 2,000 CDs using a LG GP57EB40 and only once have experienced static which proved to be the CD at fault.

rita....@btopenworld.com

Oct 28, 2020, 6:12:14 AM10/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Since I upgraded from my JB7, I've ripped another 1200 cd's using the same LG as Tremeks and have never had a problem with static.

David Kemp

Oct 28, 2020, 6:22:42 AM10/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for your replies, I've ordered the LG and I'll let you know if I have any more problems.

JAC

Oct 28, 2020, 6:32:22 AM10/28/20
to Brennan Forum
"Static" suggests errors in the data.  If you get the same unwanted sound at the same time every time the recording is played it implies that the errors are within the recorded data, and there is nothing that you can do about it except try deleting and re-ripping.  Maybe the CD isn't being properly read for some reason. Worth noting that small numbers of errors when reading a CD are almost inevitable but are detected and corrected perfectly by the software.  Larger numbers of errors can be concealed but with a small drop in quality.  Even larger error rates can't be concealed and will be audible.

If you get a different static sound each time you play back, that suggests the errors are being introduced somewhere in the playback chain.  This would be much less likely.

PMB

Oct 29, 2020, 4:39:15 AM10/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

You could try deleting those CDs and load them again, in case it was just a bad rip.

Paul
Brennan Support.