Random Play in Playlists

Geoff Davey

Nov 23, 2021, 7:47:28 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi all
I am a relatively new B2 user, finding my way around. However, I cannot get Random Play to work in my playlists. Any ideas please?
Geoff

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2021, 8:21:00 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Geoff,

Using the web UI, Select the playlist you want to play and set it going then press the button with two crossed arrows.

Fred

John Alexander

Nov 23, 2021, 8:40:12 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Geoff Also note that if you power off when you turn the B2 back on again the playlist will start again from scratch and not where you left it. I think/hope there is a plan to change this?

John

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2021, 9:46:57 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Go this to my email.
-------------------------
Hi Fred, thanks.
Tried that and it doesn't work. I'm wondering if I have a fault
Geoff
----------------------------
Hi Geoff

When replying to the Forum, please try to do so using the "reply all" button in the forum or the thread of the conversation gets broken and other members can not step in to help.

------------------
In respect of "Tried that and it doesn't work. I'm wondering if I have a fault" Of course, that is always possible but the random play is delivered by software not hardware and I would suspect that if your software was corrupt they would be more
issues than you are seeing.
Just to be sure we are on the same page
Here I have selected the "red playlist" and clicked on the first component "Dancing queen" and this as you can see is playing at the top of the window.

a.JPG
At this point the B2 will go through the playlist sequentially.

I THEN click on the Crossed arrows button to turn on RANDOM play.

and the B2 then selects randomly from the contents of the playlist (in this case Your Beautiful)
a.JPG

Not the crossed arrows are "bright" when selected

Fred

Geoff Davey

Nov 23, 2021, 10:27:58 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred
Followed this step by step but no random play, still sequential. Incidentally, when I pressed the first track the music started but the 'now playinging

Geoff Davey

Nov 23, 2021, 10:31:03 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred
Followed this step by step but no random play, still sequential. Incidentally, when I pressed the first track, the music started but the 'now playing' window didnt change for 30 seconds or so. The B2 and my laptop are in the same room as my wifi
Geoff

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2021, 10:31:56 AM11/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Geoff

I got this reply to my personal email.

Thanks Fred
I did this step by step (cross arrows bright) but no random play. Still sequential.
Incidentally, when I pressed play for the first track the music started but the display 'now playing' took about 30 seconds to change to the current track. The B2 and laptop are in the same room as my WiFi

Geoff PLEASE use the Forum to continue the conversation, not your personal email system (although you are getting messages from the forum into it). Use this button to place a new item on the Forum Thread you initiallya.JPG started

From the slow responses you describe I think your WiFi connection to your B2 may not be good enough - If you are in the same room as the Router do you think you could make an Ethernet connection to the B2 (if you do please remove the WiFi dongle) to see if that improves things.

Fred

PMB

Nov 30, 2021, 6:18:15 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Geoff,

Is this still an issue?

Try running Scan Disc - Settings menu - make sure the B2 isn't paused first.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Geoff Davey

Nov 30, 2021, 11:24:48 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul, thanks for the input. Still can't random playlists.  I'm away from home at the moment but I'll action your advice on Friday. Incidentally, my WiFi strength reads -37.
Geoff

Michael...@hotmail.co.uk

Dec 1, 2021, 4:23:19 AM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I have this problem of random not working when I am using my Sonos speakers

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2021, 5:33:48 AM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
AHH! I wonder
When the B2 does random play to its speakers it is in control of the random.
But when playing to Sonos the B2 delivers the music to the Sonos system and from that point on it is the Sonos that is in Control.
If my  thinking is correct then it must be the Sonos system that then needs to randomise the music, not the B2!
When you think you have selected random to Sonos from the B2, check to see if the Sonos "random" is indeed set (as below).
If not then perhaps the "random" request has not been sent to the Sonos system.
Fred

a.JPG

Michael...@hotmail.co.uk

Dec 3, 2021, 4:56:41 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
I can confirm the B2 appears not send the random play command to Sonos, or if it does the Sonos "system" ignores  the command. Therefor you have to set that requirement separately on the Sonos system once it starts playing the CDs sent to it from the B2.

PMB

Dec 3, 2021, 6:06:36 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Michael,

I think, currently the only way to send randomised Tracks to Sonos is by pressing the NEXT button. The B2 must be paused before pressing NEXT and only 20 Tracks at a time are added to the Sonos play queue.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Rik

Dec 3, 2021, 6:17:34 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
This isn’t of any relevance to the specific problems with Sonos but might be of interest. I was away for several months arriving home mid October. I was not able to choose or send music to my Sonos1 in another room. I tried several times and thought I’d probably have to re install. I could see Amazon Music on the Sonos app and yesterday played some music from there. Later I tried from the B2 and was successful. I think the Sonos just needed a kickstart.