B1 - How long to Rip CDs to a B1from an external DVD Player ?

David Smeall

Dec 2, 2020, 7:11:24 AM12/2/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi can you advise me - how long does it take to rip a CD from an external CD/DVD Drive to a B1 - does it take the full duration of  the CD (40 mins/CD) or does it copy the files quicker ? Thanks all.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 2, 2020, 7:22:03 AM12/2/20
to Brennan Forum
It's normally much quicker than the real time duration of the CD.  Exactly how fast is limited by the condition of the disc.  Some discs look fine, but have manufacturing short-comings that can slow down the drive's ability to read the disc.  I've never timed it, but I'm quite sure is would be under five minutes for even the longest (80 minute) CD.

PMB

Dec 3, 2020, 3:36:49 AM12/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Ripping is faster than real time as Daniel says but the compression stage is a lot slower, so we suggest ripping 20 or so CDs at a time and leaving the B2 powered overnight to compress these before adding more.

Paul
Brennan Support.