Possible FLAC (whole) percentage complete feature? (B2b)

Christian Sunderland

Aug 25, 2021, 9:59:03 AM8/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Might just me but when you force 'FLAC' compression, would it be possible to have the percentage rate of all the tracks being compressed, not just the individual track?

I know most users run this overnight or when their B2b has gone into Standby but I prefer the run the FLAC compression after I have ripped a handful of CDs, and would like to estimate when it's available again without interrupting the process?

Christian

Peter Lowham

Aug 25, 2021, 12:15:56 PM8/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Christian,

I can't help you directly with your request, but I can give you some figures that might be of some help (I gather facts, figures and estimates from all around and stick them is spreadsheets for future reference).

The figures below are using just the B2 for ripping and compressing, no external CD drives or PCs are used in the figures.

Time to rip an average (45 minute) CD is about 7 minutes (that is an average of x 6. I have seen speeds of up to x 20 on the B2 but only rarely)
Time to compress this CD to 'flac' is about 11 minutes (that is an average of x 3.5)

So the 'flac' compression time is running at about 5 CDs per hour so if you were planning to do an overnight run (say 7 hours) you could rip 30 CDs in a batch, then gp to bed and when you get up 7 hours later, the compression of that batch would be complete.

Then in the morning, rip another 30 CDs and go to work.  When you return, that batch is complete, and so on.

But if you prefer to have more control, the average of 5 CDs per hour should hold reasonably well during the compression cycle.

We tend to advise users to limit the ripped batches to about 30 CDs.  This gives the B2 the chance to fully clear each batch before you start another.  That helps to avoid some problems that we have dealt with where the B2 has crashed and has, in some cases, ended up with corrupted tracks.

Regards,
Peter.