B2 has stopped playing through its speakers

F Wade

Sep 13, 2019, 5:18:25 AM9/13/19
to Brennan Forum
My B2 (just under 3 years old, 500GB, SD card slots in the side) has stopped playing through its bookshelf speakers (the official BSP50 Brennan ones).  It plays OK through a little speaker attached to the line-out and is fine through the Sonos system I have set up, but it's as if the speakers have been muted (they work OK on a different hifi system).  For the first time ever and based on something I read here I've experimented with the jack sense settings but no difference.  I've updated the software (even though it was already up to date), done a scandisk, cleanup, rebooted, taken the SD card out & put it back in (while off), also unplugged the speakers and plugged them back in.

I moved the unit earlier this week, two shelves down from its original position.  I did this carefully and it was powered down at the time so I don't see how it can be the root of the problem but the speakers were working a week or so before the move and weren't working a few days after.

I'm including a few lines from the debug log, something else I've never had cause to look at before.  Are the three lines beginning "Mute" normal?

webGuest url = guest&mode=0&playlist=1&time=1568365125430

setGuestModePlaylist 0

playStop ()

stopPlay ()

Mute(stopChannel)

Mute(stopChannel)

Mute(stopPlay)

startPlayingTrack () new ffwdfetch using /tmp/ffwdPipe0

startPipePlay () pipe=1 pid=4179

startFfwdFetch2 (0)

ffwdThreadCode3 started channel = 0

webGuest url = guest&mode=0&playlist=1&time=1568365177796

thanks in anticipation

F Wade

Sep 14, 2019, 5:01:39 AM9/14/19
to Brennan Forum
Update:  as a last resort after switching the SD card for a new one I flashed and also powering down the unit for a couple of hours to allow it to cool down (wondering whether a thermal cut-out had kicked in), still no change when I switched it back on.  So I decided to give the speaker leads one final wiggle (technical term that!) at the speaker end and that seems to have done the trick.  It strikes me that the connections must be very sensitive, because one of the speakers didn't move at all when I shifted the unit and the other one was only shuffled along the shelf a little.  The wires look in good condition and go in straight in, not at an angle, and nothing to suggest a break hidden within the insulation.  Does anyone have any tips for making the connections a bit more resilient?

PMB

Sep 16, 2019, 3:38:12 AM9/16/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi F,

If the wire ends of the connecting cables are tinned (silver colour i.e. soldered) the spring clips on the back of the speakers maybe cannot get a good grip/contact. I would cut these ends off > strip the wire back, say 20mm and twist them loosely > fold in half and insert into the spring clips on the back of the speakers - make sure you observe the polarity (red to red, etc) otherwise you'll strange results.

Paul
Brennan Support.

F Wade

Sep 16, 2019, 8:40:09 AM9/16/19
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul, I did wonder if that was the way to go - I've never had any problems with all the household plugs I've wired over the years in exactly that fashion :-)

And you're right the ends are tinned, presumably so nobody can injure themselves on sharp strands of wire.